Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print variable of a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print variable of a variable Post 302187181 by cfajohnson on Saturday 19th of April 2008 08:23:12 PM
Old 04-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindc
Hi,

I'm trying the following:

Code:
code_0_0=1001
code_0_1=Test1
code_1_0=1002
code_1_1=Test1

x=1001

while [ $i -le 1 && $x -ne $code_$i_0 ]
do
i=`expr i + 1`
done

echo The Value Matched at $i variable and has value $code_$i_1

Please let me know where the problem in above code

First, you haven't initialized $i.

Then, there are two problems in the test statement. The first is the attempt to use an indirect variable.

If you are using bash, you can build the name of the variable and use the ! expansion:

Code:
iv=code_${i}_0
val=${!iv}

For other shells (and for portability), use eval:

Code:
eval "val=\$code_${i}_0"

In both of the above examples, note the braces around the 'i' to prevent the variable being interpreted as $i_0.

You cannot use && inside a test expression; either use -a or two separate test commands:

Code:
while [ $i -le 1 -a $x -ne $val ]

Or:

Code:
while [ $i -le 1 ] && [ $x -ne $val ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in awk

i read the variable ph from file and i wanna to print it in awk. example ph=`cat tmpbatch` tail h.txt|grep "| |"|awk -F"|" '{ print "@unpdx.sql",$5 }'"$ph" i try this but it does not work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the name of variable

How can I pass the name of the variable inside a for statment I have a script something like below: classA=12 classB=14 classC=16 # classD = 20 all_class="classA classB classC" for i in $all_class do echo $i = $($i) #<---- this one not work #echo $i = $(echo $i) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sun-guy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a value in the variable using awk ?

:b:Hi All, I have a part of a script below: var1="value1" awk 'BEGIN {printf("%36s \n ","value1")}' Instead of directly giving the "value1" , I need to give using "var1" in the above awk statement. Is this possible? If so, what is the modified awk command? Thanks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print variable value using file.

I have defined variable in linux using command #year=twenty Now i want to use CGI script to print this value. how can i do so? quick response will be highly appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable

I have list of files: ls a.pdf b.pdf c.pdf and so on... and I have a file like this: cat file1 apple mango pear and so on... I want to rename my file like this: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print variable on screen

Hi, I've stored the output of a command into a variable. The variable contains the following output: outputline1 outputline2 outputline3 ... How can I echo the variable so that the output is as follow and not one line: outputline1 outputline2 outputline2 ... Thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sego
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print using a variable

hey, just want to ask how to do this. ex. g="hi i am john" h=`echo $g | awk '{print $2}'` echo $h OUTPUT is 'i' What if I want to use a variable instead of using '2', how do I do that? Because this one does not work: a=2 h=`echo $g | awk '{print ${$a}}'` this one also does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies
LIBXO(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  LIBXO(3)

NAME
xo_emit -- emit formatted output based on format string and arguments LIBRARY
library ``libxo'' SYNOPSIS
#include <libxo/xo.h> LIBXO(3) BSD Library Functions Manual LIBXO(3) NAME
xo_open_list xo_open_list_h xo_open_list_hd xo_open_list_d xo_open_instance xo_open_instance_h xo_open_instance_hd xo_open_instance_d xo_close_instance xo_close_instance_h xo_close_instance_hd xo_close_instance_d xo_close_list xo_close_list_h xo_close_list_hd xo_close_list_d -- open and close lists and instances LIBRARY
library ``libxo'' SYNOPSIS
int xo_open_list_h(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_open_list(const char *name); int xo_open_list_hd(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_open_list_d(const char *name); int xo_open_instance_h(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_open_instance(const char *name); int xo_open_instance_hd(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_open_instance_d(const char *name); int xo_close_instance_h(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_close_instance(const char *name); int xo_close_instance_hd(xo_handle_t *xop); int xo_close_instance_d(void); int xo_close_list_h(xo_handle_t *xop, const char *name); int xo_close_list(const char *name); int xo_close_list_hd(xo_handle_t *xop); int xo_close_list_d(void); DESCRIPTION
Lists are sequences of instances of homogeneous data objects. Two distinct levels of calls are needed to represent them in our output styles. Calls must be made to open and close a list, and for each instance of data in that list, calls must be make to open and close that instance. The name given to all calls must be identical, and it is strongly suggested that the name be singular, not plural, as a matter of style and usage expectations. A list is a set of one or more instances that appear under the same parent. The instances contain details about a specific object. One can think of instances as objects or records. A call is needed to open and close the list, while a distinct call is needed to open and close each instance of the list: xo_open_list("item"); for (ip = list; ip->i_title; ip++) { xo_open_instance("item"); xo_emit("{L:Item} '{:name/%s}':0, ip->i_title); xo_close_instance("item"); } xo_close_list("item"); Getting the list and instance calls correct is critical to the proper generation of XML and JSON data. EXAMPLE: xo_open_list("user"); for (i = 0; i < num_users; i++) { xo_open_instance("user"); xo_emit("{k:name}:{:uid/%u}:{:gid/%u}:{:home}0, pw[i].pw_name, pw[i].pw_uid, pw[i].pw_gid, pw[i].pw_dir); xo_close_instance("user"); } xo_close_list("user"); TEXT: phil:1001:1001:/home/phil pallavi:1002:1002:/home/pallavi XML: <user> <name>phil</name> <uid>1001</uid> <gid>1001</gid> <home>/home/phil</home> </user> <user> <name>pallavi</name> <uid>1002</uid> <gid>1002</gid> <home>/home/pallavi</home> </user> JSON: user: [ { "name": "phil", "uid": 1001, "gid": 1001, "home": "/home/phil", }, { "name": "pallavi", "uid": 1002, "gid": 1002, "home": "/home/pallavi", } ] LEAF LISTS
In contrast to a list of instances, a "leaf list" is list of simple values. To emit a leaf list, call the xo_emit() function using the ""l"" modifier: for (ip = list; ip->i_title; ip++) { xo_emit("{Lwc:Item}{l:item}0, ip->i_title); } The name of the field must match the name of the leaf list. In JSON, leaf lists are rendered as arrays of values. In XML, they are rendered as multiple leaf elements. JSON: "item": "hammer", "nail" XML: <item>hammer</item> <item>nail</item> ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
Complete documentation can be found on github: http://juniper.github.io/libxo/libxo-manual.html libxo lives on github as: https://github.com/Juniper/libxo The latest release of libxo is available at: https://github.com/Juniper/libxo/releases SEE ALSO
xo_emit(3) HISTORY
The libxo library was added in FreeBSD 11.0. AUTHOR
Phil Shafer BSD
December 4, 2014 BSD