Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with regular expressions Post 302185786 by subin_bala on Wednesday 16th of April 2008 12:55:51 AM
Old 04-16-2008
Problems with regular expressions

Hi ,

I am reading data from a log file.
The log file will be like this :
19:40:25 DEBUG : Failed xml-common.noarch 0-0.6.3-18 - u
19:40:25 ERROR : Batch failed
19:40:25 DEBUG : Batch exited with ERROR 104
19:40:25 ERROR : Batch exited with ERROR 105
19:40:25 DEBUG : Batch exited with ERROR 104
19:40:25 INFO : Batch exited with ERROR 105

I am reading this log file line by line.
I need to store the line which contain " *Batch exited with ERROR *" in a variable using regular expressions.
I am triyng something like this

cat Mytest.log | while read data
do
TEST=`echo $data | grep __________
echo $TEST
done

Can any one complete my grep command ? or suggest any other logic?

Regards
Subin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec -- regular expression handler LIBRARY
Compatibility Library (libcompat, -lcompat) SYNOPSIS
#include <re_comp.h> char * re_comp(const char *s); int re_exec(const char *s); DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by regex(3). It is available from the compatibility library, libcompat. The re_comp() function compiles a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() function checks the argument string against the last string passed to re_comp(). The re_comp() function returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an error message is returned. If re_comp() is passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression. The re_exec() function returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error). The strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by NULs. The regu- lar expressions recognized are described in the manual entry for ed(1), given the above difference. DIAGNOSTICS
The re_exec() function returns -1 for an internal error. The re_comp() function returns one of the following strings if an error occurs: No previous regular expression, Regular expression too long, unmatched (, missing ], too many () pairs, unmatched ). SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), ex(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), regex(3) HISTORY
The re_comp() and re_exec() functions appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD