Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed very confused
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed very confused Post 302185158 by aigles on Monday 14th of April 2008 11:04:11 AM
Old 04-14-2008
No problem on my AIX box.
Code:
$ cat pattern.txt
<Pattern>file<\Pattern>
<Pattern>file2<\Pattern>
<Pattern>file3<\Pattern>
<Pattern>file4<\Pattern>

$ awk -F'[<>]' '$2=="Pattern" && ++occ==3 {print "string="$3; exit}' pattern.txt
string=file3
$

Try with nawk instead of awk.

@Franklin52
Your solution prints lines from the 3rd occurence of pattern to the end of the file (I haven't detect the problem when i first read your post).

Jean-Pierre.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused,,,,

Hi,,, is there any possibility to install Linux in my P.C which is use Win98 without loose anything from my hard disk???? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is it better for a newbie in this kind of OS to install Linux instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused

hi! how when i'm chattin inside com there was this chatter andi don't know what he did but he saw all my files inside my shell. what did he do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hapiworm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

confused with cp

may i know what cp $1 $2 $0 $2 does? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Confused c#t#d#s#

I am confused c#t#d#s# once I learn the following : slice 0 ...... 0 to 2520 slice 1....... 2521 to 2840 slice 6........2841 to 8891 slice 2........0 to 8891 really really confused. Please explain. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: deltakutty
8 Replies

5. Ubuntu

New and Confused

Hello, I am having a problem with Dual Booting Windows XP Pro and Linux Mint. I have Three Hard Drives, One Hard Drive has Linux Mint Loaded on it. When it is hooked up to the computer by itself it works great. This is an IDE Drive. The Second Hard Drive has Window XP Pro loaded on it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Forextrading
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - confused by the s command.

echo "abc 123" | sed 's/*/& &/g' output: a b c 123 123 Why there are spaces between the "abc" letters? echo "abc 123" | sed 's/*/&&/' output: abc 123 Why the regex in the above script does not match anything? I thought * should match 123 in any case. ---------- Post updated at 08:25... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confused with sed...

Yes I know this is a bad use of cat, but just ignore it please :P My problem is with sed. File: "newFile" contains: day Command I run: cat newFile | sed 's/day/night' This returns: sed: -e expression #1, char 11: unterminated `s' command Why??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximus73
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused by the sed command

Hi Gurus, I am a little bit confused by the sed command. my file is below cat sample aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii below is command and output. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)