Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba Installation
Operating Systems AIX Samba Installation Post 302184485 by prichard on Friday 11th of April 2008 01:31:17 PM
Old 04-11-2008
I think bakunin found the main problem. Here is some things to think about:

Lets work on the Samba problem first and then Swat.

From your earlier posts you have put smbd and nmbd in /etc/inetd.conf. That means they will be started when needed. Also your smbclient worked, that tells me samba is most likely working fine. The log.smb also indicates samba is working.

What I'm seeing in your email is that your "browsing" understanding and syntax is not quite right.

One way to test samba is to open Windows explorer and use the syntax, now don't flip the slash directions: \\192.168.0.144

Another way to test samba is to open Internet Explorer and type file://192.168.0.144 Again, do not flip the slash directions.

What are your results?

I will be unavailable for the next week. I will check when I get back on 4/21

Last edited by prichard; 04-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Tell about being out of town.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba installation

HI. I am still having problems installing samba. i found a site where there is a package for auto install. i click on the link and it start to data stream, what going on, i thought it suppose to install it to /usr/local/ . Here is the link i download or try to download the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

2. Solaris

installation of Solaris: installation bypasses network config.

hello solaris friends, I've tried installing Sun Solaris 10.0, but everytime it seems to bypass the network config. screen that looks similar to this...here's the url: http://www.hup.hu/old/images/hup/Solaris/Sol10beta7/9.png I'm able to install it all the way through but I get no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cadmiumgreen
2 Replies

3. Solaris

samba installation

Hi All, I want to install Samba packages in my server...I saw the processes that are related to samba are running. Being root, i dont have full permissions to stop samba and start it. I dont know whether i can kill the samba process. I was told to install samba on the system... ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why Samba is still pointing to old version after installation

Hallo, I am new to administer a Unix machine. Basically I have just upgrade the samba version from 2.2.8a up to 3.0.22 on Sol 9 SV210. the installation was successful. but then when I checked the version by using /usr/sfw/bin/smbstatus it was still showing 2.2.8a. I've restarted samba... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Luky
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

samba

hi all having lots of issues with Macs connecting to samba servers being published via Red Hat 5.1. Seems to be varring problems depending on what OSX version we run from 10.5 to 6.3. I found a not on one of the forums about adding the unix extenstions= no and that has cured a few macs but not.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
0 Replies

6. Solaris

samba issue: one samba share without password prompting and the others with.

Hi All, I've been trying to configure samba on Solaris 10 to allow me to have one share that is open and writable to all users and have the rest of my shares password protected by a generic account. If I set my security to user, my secured shares work just fine and prompt accordingly, but when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Samba installation issue

hey, i am trying to install a new samba server using the source package in my redhat machine.i am using samba 3.6.4 version.actually i am not able to find out the smb.conf file in there.can anyone give me any idea about where to look for this configuration file?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: htshshrm2
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Samba installation failing on Linux

We are trying to install samba server on linux environment but it's failing with following errors. Could any of you help me on this. body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 }td,div { font-family:Segoe UI;font-size:9pt;vertical-align:top }/* Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 All Rights Reserved. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talk1234
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 flash installation - fatal error. Solaris installation program exited.

Not very helpful to say the least. Seems to read the flar file and go through the upgrade and then come up with this error. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
FINDSMB(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)