Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get multiple line content between two chars Post 302184400 by Feliz on Friday 11th of April 2008 11:21:48 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Get multiple line content between two chars

Hello -

I have a file that has the something like the following :

REM CREATE TABLE lots of text
REM table specifc creation text ;
REM ALTER TABLE lots of text
REM text specific to the the alter command
REM could be more lines of text;

What I need is to get all the lines for the ALTER TABLE statement up to the ending ; into a seperate file. There are multiple statements within the file and some could be one line some could span more than one line but they all end in a ;

Thanks in advance for your help.
Feliz

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing non-printable chars from multiple files

How do I remove non-printable characters from all txt files and output the results to one file? I've tried the following: tr -cd '\n' < *.txt > out.txt and it gives ambiguous redirect error. How can I get it to operate on all txt files in the current directory and append the output to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revax
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files with first line of content

Hi , I want to rename multiple files with their first line bar the first character + the extension .qual. For the example below the filename should read 7180000000987.qual. I have trawled through different threads for 2 days and I don't seem to find anything I can adopt for this task :confused: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines from multiple logfiles, based on content of the line

d df d d (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larsk
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing multiple special chars with single char

Hi I've a string . And i need to replace set of characters with a single character Means .. or . or ... and so on should be replaced with single % character Irrespective of number of dots in between the characters , those should be replaced with single % All the above strings should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with special chars line by line

I have a file that includes strings with special characters, eg file1 line: 1 - special 1 line: = 4 line; -3 etc How can I grep the lines of file1 from file2, line by line? I used fgrep and egrep to grep a particular line and worked fine, but when I used: cat file1|while read line;do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename and add chars to multiple files at once

i have a little over 100 files named page1.jpg through page106.jpg. How can I rename them all to remove the page word and add 00 in front of the remaining numbers? I realize this might be multiple commands but cp page*.jpg *.jpg didn't work like I thought it would. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zimmerru
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break line content into multiple lines using delimiter

I need to break the line after every 3rd semi colon(;) using Unix shell scripting Input.txt ABC;DEF;JHY;LKU;QWE;BVF;RGHY; Output.txt ABC;DEF;JHY; LKU;QWE;BVF; RGHY; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meet_calramz
1 Replies
TRIGGER(7) SQL Commands ALTER TRIGGER(7) NAME
ALTER TRIGGER - change the definition of a trigger SYNOPSIS
ALTER TRIGGER name ON table RENAME TO newname DESCRIPTION
ALTER TRIGGER changes properties of an existing trigger. The RENAME clause changes the name of the given trigger without otherwise changing the trigger definition. You must own the table on which the trigger acts to be allowed to change its properties. PARAMETERS
name The name of an existing trigger to alter. table The name of the table on which this trigger acts. newname The new name for the trigger. NOTES
The ability to temporarily enable or disable a trigger is provided by ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)], not by ALTER TRIGGER, because ALTER TRIGGER has no convenient way to express the option of enabling or disabling all of a table's triggers at once. EXAMPLES
To rename an existing trigger: ALTER TRIGGER emp_stamp ON emp RENAME TO emp_track_chgs; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER TRIGGER is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER TRIGGER(7)