Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2? Post 302184384 by Franklin52 on Friday 11th of April 2008 10:08:12 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuart
Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files:

File_1:

Abf1 YKL112w
Abf1 YAL054c
Abf1 YGL234w
Ace2 YKL150w
Ace2 YNL328c
Cup9 YDR441c
Cup9 YDR442w
Cup9 YEL040w

File 2:

ABF1 YKL112W
ACE2 YLR131C
CUP9 YPL177C

File_2 is a “lookup table;” I want to replace $1 in File_1 with the matching $2 field in File_2, additionally adding a middle column containing the string “tf”, and a column of “ones” (“1” in the first column position), all tab-delimited.

Additionally, it would be ideal if the case could be ignored for the search / replace, but that the alphabetical output be all uppercase [a-z] converted to [A-Z].

FYI, these are yeast genes; in addition to numbers and letters, some of the genes will contain dashes (e.g., YBR162W-A), but none will contain commas, semicolons, spaces, etc.

Output File_3:

1 YKL112W tf YKL112W
1 YKL112W tf YAL054C
1 YKL112W tf YGL234W
1 YLR131C tf YKL150W
1 YLR131C tf YNL328C
1 YLR131C tf YLR439W
1 YPL177C tf YDR441C
1 YPL177C tf YDR442W
1 YPL177C tf YEL040W
This should give the desired output:

Code:
 awk '
FNR==NR{a[tolower($1)]=$2;next} 
tolower($1) in a{print "1 " a[tolower($1)] " tf " toupper($2)}
' "File_2" "File_1"

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string replacement using a lookup table

Dear all thanks for helping in advance.. Know this should be fairly simple but I failed in searching for an answer. I have a file (replacement table) containing two columns, e.g.: ACICJ ACIDIPHILIUM ACIF2 ACIDITHIOBACILLUS ACIF5 ACIDITHIOBACILLUS ACIC5 ACIDOBACTERIUM ACIC1 ACIDOTHERMUS... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace fields from file1 to file2

hi, I have two xml files with the name source.xml and tobe_replaced.xml. Sample data: source.xml contains: <?xml version="1.0"?> <product description="prod1" product_info="some/info"> <product description="prod2" product_info="xyz/allinfo"> <product description="abc/partialinfo"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find string from file1 in file2

hi; i am looking for simple search script that find string from file1 in file 2 file 1 contain a loot of string like: 204080111111111 204080222222222 204080333333333 in each row and i would like to take the first row for example 204080111111111 from file1 and find it in file2 when it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpinto
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search from file1 and replace into file2

I have 2 files: file1.txt: 1|15|XXXXXX||9630716||0096000||30/04/2012|E|O|X||||20120525135617-30.04.2012|PAT66OLM|STA||||00001|STA_0096000_YYYPPPXTMEX00_20120525135617_02_P.pdf|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a number or string from file1 and redirect into file2 in perl script?

hello forum members, I am siva ,As i am new to perl scripting i looking help from forum members. i need a sample program are command for pattern matching. I have file name infile1 which some data, I need to search the particular number are string in the file which repeats n number of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match part of string in file2 based on column in file1

I have a file containing texts and indexes. I need the text between (and including ) INDEX and number "1" alone in line. I have managed this: awk '/INDEX/,/1$/{if (!/1$/)print}' file1.txt It works for all indexes. And then I have second file with years and indexes per year, one per line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoebus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup value of file1 in file2 using a key

Trying to use awk to match each line in file1 with line in file2 using $1 and $2 and print. File2 is tab-delimeted as is the output and if there is no match then it is skipped. The awk below executes but the output is empty. I think file1 is being split on the : and being saved in array c which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)