Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers HELP --Accidentaly executed mv ../* . in /tmp Post 302184255 by era on Friday 11th of April 2008 03:44:18 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Doesn't find, or won't run them successfully?

The stuff in /bin (now /tmp/bin) should be statically linked, and so should work even if /lib is now in /tmp/lib

You could of course try to play with the LD_* stuff to also point to /tmp/lib instead of /lib, but this type of scenario is precisely why some of the most essential utilities in /bin are statically linked.

Idle thought: if you chroot /tmp there is no way then to move stuff to its parent directory (-:

If all else fails, do you have a rescue CD you could boot to fix things?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How To Shrink /Tmp

Hi, Do you know if we can shrink the size of the Swap under Solaris 8 ? 8Gb is already allocated to /TMP but we would like to reduce to 1 GB. Thanks, Fabien. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
2 Replies

3. AIX

/tmp full

good morning The /tmp filesystem is full at 99 % I have do a "rm" but the size is the same. so i think that a process is always alive, but how can i do to know it ? (because I have deleted some file in /tmp) thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
9 Replies

4. Red Hat

/tmp directory

i heard once that the /tmp directory was a ramfs (swap) that is cleared at reboot time, is this still the case in redhat EL 3 and 4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is so special about /tmp/

I know that /tmp is used for memory or swap??? and that it should not be full ??? and that files under /tmp are automatically removed after a reboot??? Is this info true??? thx (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
16 Replies

6. AIX

/tmp full

The /tmp is 100% full, I found there are the following big files/directory: 1301500 syslog.out.58 166692 vac 158552 install.dir.2928686 158552 install.dir.2236636 110980 install.dir.2887698 /tmp/vac have some files like : .toc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

7. AIX

problem with tmp

Hello everyone ! I get a box with aix 5.3 and I get the /tmp fs on 100 %. I get a free space to get more bigger my fs but send me a error message. I try to make more bigger with smitty chlv but It doesnt work. Then I try to reduce somethings on the /tmp fs but I cant get in on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

8. Solaris

cannot cd /tmp.

Hi All, There's a /tmp. folder on my solaris 9. I can't cd on it bash-2.05# uname -a SunOS cads105ctce 5.9 Generic_122300-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890 bash-2.05# cd /tmp. bash: cd: /tmp.: No such file or directory bash-2.05# ls -la /tmp. /tmp.: No such file or directory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

9. AIX

Script not getting executed via cron but executes when executed manually.

Hi Script not getting executed via cron but executes successfully when executed manually. Please assist cbspsap01(appuser) /app/scripts > cat restart.sh #!/bin/ksh cd /app/bin date >>logfile.out echo "Restart has been started....." >>logfile.out date >>logfile.out initfnsw -y restart... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

/tmp filling up

Does anyone know of a way to redirect the ksh default of processing data in /tmp to another file system or / something else? My ksh script is parsing large DB files and it keeps filling up /tmp on the root disk. I have a 1 Tb disk with most of its space. How do I re-direct the /tmp ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchelten
6 Replies
RESCUE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 RESCUE(8)

NAME
rescue -- rescue utilities in /rescue DESCRIPTION
The /rescue directory contains a collection of common utilities intended for use in recovering a badly damaged system. With the transition to a dynamically-linked root beginning with NetBSD 2.0, there is a real possibility that the standard tools in /bin and /sbin may become non- functional due to a failed upgrade or a disk error. The tools in /rescue are statically linked and should therefore be more resistant to damage. However, being statically linked, the tools in /rescue are also less functional than the standard utilities. In particular, they do not have full use of the locale, pam(3), and nsswitch libraries. If your system fails to boot, and it shows an error message similar to: init: not found try booting the system with the boot flag ``-a'' and supplying /rescue/init, which is the rescue init(8), as the init path. If your system fails to boot, and it shows a prompt similar to: Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: the first thing to try running is the standard shell, /bin/sh. If that fails, try running /rescue/sh, which is the rescue shell. To repair the system, the root partition must first be remounted read-write. This can be done with the following mount(8) command: /rescue/mount -uw / The next step is to double-check the contents of /bin, /lib, /libexec, and /sbin, possibly mounting a NetBSD installation CD-ROM and copying files from there. Once it is possible to successfully run /bin/sh, /bin/ls, and other standard utilities, try rebooting back into the stan- dard system. The /rescue tools are compiled using crunchgen(1), which makes them considerably more compact than the standard utilities. FILES
/rescue Root of the rescue hierarchy. SEE ALSO
crunchgen(1) HISTORY
The rescue utilities first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
The rescue system was written by Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Simon L. Nielsen <simon@FreeBSD.org>, based on text by Tim Kientzle <kientzle@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Most of the rescue tools work even in a fairly crippled system. The most egregious exception is the rescue version of vi(1), which currently requires that /usr be mounted so that it can access the termcap(5) files. Hopefully, a failsafe termcap(3) entry will eventually be added into the curses(3) library, so that /rescue/vi can be used even in a system where /usr cannot immediately be mounted. In the meantime, the rescue version of the ed(1) editor can be used from /rescue/ed if you need to edit files, but cannot mount /usr. BSD
January 20, 2009 BSD