Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number of Bits in the Byte
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of Bits in the Byte Post 302183513 by Dave Miller on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 08:15:34 AM
Old 04-09-2008
This question looks suspiciously like homework.

Read the rules!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing 24 bits to 8 bits display

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to change 24 bits depth display to 8 bits depth display for Sun Ultra1, running Solaris 8? THANKS in advance. I think that the command is ffbconfig, but it has nothing about depth. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. AIX

How to convert a partition usin 64 bits kernel to 32 bits kernel?

Hello there: I know that exist a procedure to convert an OS using 32bits kernel to 64 bits kernel. But, exist a procedure to convert an OS using 64bits to 32 bits kernel? Please help me. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Pick a Number Between 0 and 20 for 1 Million Bits

Here is an easy game! I wrote a number between 0 and 20 (that can include 0 and 20) on a piece of paper. I am staring at it now, imagining the number so you can read my mind ;) Reply once, and only once, with a number from 0 to 20 and the first person to guess it wins 1,000,000 Bits. ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

32 bits procesaor with 64 bits Solaris

people i have a problem i have a 32 bits sparc processor, and solaris 64 bits processor, i install a oracle data base 64 bits, but my oracle will not run because my processor is from 32 bits this is ok??, i know if i have x86 i cannot install a 64 bits operatin system in a 32 bits processor. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

7. Programming

Finding the number of bits a executable was compiled

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to find out how many bits a c executable was compiled in? I am trying to do some investigation of running 32bit programs in 64bit systems. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Place Bits & Win Bits!!! - 17th Annual Satellite Awards

Ten movies have been nominated as best motion picture by the International Press Academy, presentation of the 2012 Satellite Awards will be held on 16th December at Los Angeles, CA. Place your bits here on one of the below nominated movie of your choice:- Argo ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
0 Replies
XmCvtXmStringToByteStream(library call) 								   XmCvtXmStringToByteStream(library call)

NAME
XmCvtXmStringToByteStream -- A compound string function that converts a compound string to a Byte Stream format SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> unsigned int XmCvtXmStringToByteStream( XmString string, unsigned char **prop_return); DESCRIPTION
XmCvtXmStringToByteStream converts a compound string to a string of bytes representing the compound string in Byte Stream format. This routine is typically used by the source of a data transfer operation to produce a Byte Stream representation for transferring a compound string to a destination. If prop_return is not NULL, this function creates a string of characters in Byte Stream format and returns it in prop_return. The function also returns the number of bytes in prop_return. If prop_return is NULL, the function does not return the Byte Stream format string, but it does calculate and return the number of bytes that would appear in the Byte Stream format string. string Specifies a compound string to be converted to Byte Stream format prop_return Specifies a pointer to a string in Byte Stream format that is created and returned by this function. If prop_return is NULL, no Byte Stream format string is returned. When a Byte Stream format string is returned, the function allocates space to hold it. The application is responsible for managing this allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XtFree. RETURN
Returns the number of bytes in the Byte Stream representation (whether or not the Byte Stream representation is returned). RELATED
XmString(3) and XmCvtByteStreamToXmString(3). XmCvtXmStringToByteStream(library call)