Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris from where i can find the CDROM device Post 302182970 by Sun Fire on Tuesday 8th of April 2008 02:23:09 AM
Old 04-08-2008
autmounted

you don't have to mount it as long as the volume manager daemon is up. It should auto mount.

# ps -ef|grep vold

if it's not up, do this:

# /etc/init.d/volmgt stop; /etc/init.d/volmgt start

then make sure it's up

#ps -ef |grep vold

if it's there, then

# df -k

will show it mounted on the default mount point /cdrom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

2. Solaris

could not find cdrom

on solaris 10, when I injected my cd to the dvdrom, the cdrom did not mount by itself. how can I mount the cdrom manually? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Find the cdrom

Hi, I have installed Solaris 10 in intel architecture via Virtual Machine. By default the CDROM isn't mounted. How can i find out exactly which device is the Cdrom. On linux it used to be /dev/cdrom. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

4. BSD

PROBE not find the device ID

Hi All, Probe is not returning the Device ID, while device (PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge) is already detected by "lspci". I checked this with printing all the device ID which has been detected. Can anyone give me any suggestion or solution. Thanks (in advance) Appu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to find if a device is hotswapable or not

How to find if a device is hotswapable or not (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to find all device on p570 when need do device firmware upgrade?

I need upgrade firmware for the device of p570, when I go to IBM FIX download website, there are a lot of device of p570 listed. How can I know what device I have on my p570? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

7. Solaris

CDROM will not eject - says device busy

Hi, I've seen similar posts on this board about ejecting CDROMs but I've tried the solutions people suggested but still cannot eject the CD. It's stuck in a production box so I can't reboot it... bash-3.00# eject -f cdrom /vol/dev/dsk/c0t0d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s0: Device busy bash-3.00#... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy54321
14 Replies

8. Solaris

Find out which device uses X.25 port

I'm new to Solaris. We have a server running SunOS 5.8 and sends messages through X.25 port (card is symicron). How to determine which /dev/* it uses? I have searched the web, most sites show that X.25 use /dev/cua/a or /dev/cua/b. I tried to send command from shell echo disptime > /dev/cua/a,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: myjava
0 Replies

9. SCO

Getting error sco unix 507 from cdrom:no controller for device you chosen

Installing SCO UNIX 507 on Dell Poweredge T610. It has no floppy so I downloaded the BTLD onto CD from SCO site to load without floppy drive. BTLD loads ok. when i get to the Media to be used, no matter what option i chose i get the error: No controller for device you have chosen. During bootup you... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: romanglad112
9 Replies

10. HP-UX

Cdrom device possibly missing?

Hello, I am following the HPUX 11.31 install/update guide and I am trying to install "Update-UX" from the installation media. I put the CD into the drive, and I am trying to mount the device. The instructions state:Find the DVD-ROM device file name: ioscan -C disk -f -n -k | more A typical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
5 Replies
vold(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  vold(1M)

NAME
vold - Volume Management daemon to manage removable media devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/vold [-n] [-t] [-v] [-f config-file] [-l log-file] [-d root-dir] [-L debug-level] DESCRIPTION
The Volume Management daemon, vold, creates and maintains a file system image rooted at root-dir that contains symbolic names for removable media devices. These devices include CD-ROMs, floppies, DVDs, and USB 1394 devices. The default root-dir is set to /vol if no directory is specified by the -d option. vold reads the /etc/vold.conf configuration file upon startup. If the configuration file is modified later, vold must be told to reread the /etc/vold.conf file. Do this by entering: example# kill -HUP vold_pid To tell vold to clean up and exit, the SIGTERM signal is used: example# kill -TERM vold_pid where vold_pid is the process ID of vold. A disk storage device can not be removed or inserted while vold is active. To remove or insert a removeable mass storage device such as a USB memory stick, first stop the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt stop. After the device has been removed or inserted, restart the daemon by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt start. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Never writeback. Volume Management updates media labels with unique information if labels are not unique. This flag keeps Volume Management from changing your media. The default setting is FALSE. -t Dump NFS trace information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE. -v Provide lots of status information to the log file. The default setting is FALSE (do not provide status info to log file). -d root-dir Specify an alternate root directory. The default location is /vol. Setting this will also cause other Volume Management utilities to use this as the default root directory. -fconfig-file Specify an alternate configuration file. The default file is /etc/vold.conf. -llog-file Specify an alternate log file. The default log file is /var/adm/vold.log. -Ldebug-level Change the level (verbosity) of debug messages sent to the log file. The range is 0 to 99 where 0 is nothing and 99 is everything. The default level is 0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
vold sets the following environment variables to aid programs which are called when events such as insert, notify, and eject occur: VOLUME_ACTION Event that caused this program to be executed. VOLUME_PATH Pathname of the matched regex from the vold.conf file. VOLUME_DEVICE Device (in /vol/dev) that applies to the media. VOLUME_NAME Name of the volume in question. VOLUME_USER User ID of the user causing the event to occur. VOLUME_SYMNAME Symbolic name of a device containing the volume. VOLUME_MEDIATYPE Name of the type of media (CD-ROM, floppy or rmdisk) FILES
/etc/vold.conf Volume Management daemon configuration file. Directs the Volume Management daemon to control certain devices, and causes events to occur when specific criteria are met. /usr/lib/vold/*.so.1 Shared objects called by Volume Management daemon when certain actions occur. /var/adm/vold.log the default log file location (see the -l option for a description). /vol the default Volume Management root directory. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1), rmmount(1M), rpc.smserverd(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 13 Sept 2004 vold(1M)