Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zipping files older than one month Post 302182885 by era on Monday 7th of April 2008 04:39:05 PM
Old 04-07-2008
Quote:
ls -rtl *.dat | grep Jan | awk '{print $9}' | rm *.dat
This is basically equivalent to

Code:
ls -rtl *.dat | grep Jan | awk '{print $9}' >/dev/null
rm *.dat

so no wonder your *.dat files are gone. The right syntax for using the pipeline (and avoiding the Useless Use of grep | awk) is

Code:
ls -rtl *.dat | awk '/Jan/{print $9}' | xargs rm

or you could use backticks, but they are always a bit perilous, IMHO.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files?

how would i zip a file? what does zip mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with zipping files

Hi, I have come across a requirement in which I need to zip files. This is fine but the requriement has one conditions like below: One .z file can not have more than 10,000 files Now in the directory I have several files liek below: aaa_file_10_00001.txt aaa_file_10_00002.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file older than one month not by x days olds

Hi, I would like to ask about some question on the -mtime option in the find command. I want to move a log files older than one month and planning to used the find -mtime +30 but i have some clarrification does -mtime +30 or -30 refer to x days beyond or between so how about the month. suppose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping older files with cron jobs

Hi All, In my team we generate huge logs and many a times due to this our total system crumbles. I want to write a script which compares the file modification time with the current time and then if the difference is more than 'n' days the file is zipped , if the difference is more than ' n'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepPaddy
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files

Hi All, I have a scenario where in am using uuencode to send a txt file as an excel to end users( email attachment).I have 7 different files and these files are sent as emails 7 times... So my question is, can i not zip all the 7 files at once and attach those files in a single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting month older

I need month older lines from a file file 1 666 2013-08-23 04:24:11 33 543 2013-06-11 18:04:20 33 413 2013-06-20 1:40:54 1 776 2013-08-20 18:04:21 .0 877 2013-08-21 05:50:04 I'm checking older lines... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping files

Hi Guys, The script below works but it creates a zip folder under 123_arch.zip -- test1 -- orig1.txt -- orig2.txt -- orig3.txt -- orig4.txt I don't want the sub directory test1 but everything under the base *arch name I can not create a long name with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaryP1973
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need last month files after 10th of every month

Hi, I need all file names in a folder which has date >= 10th of last month, Example : files in folder AUTO_F1_20140610.TXT BUTO_F1_20140616.TXT CUTO_F1_20140603.TXT FA_AUTO_06012014.TXT LA_AUTO_06112014.TXT MA_AUTO_06212014.TXT ZA_AUTO_06232014.TXT Output: AUTO_F1_20140610.TXT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hadoop directories delete older than a month

-bash-4.1$ hdfs dfs -ls -R /data/backup/prd/xyz/ | grep '^d' drwxr-xr-x - abisox abadmgrp 0 2018-05-05 01:03 /data/backup/prd/xyz/20180301 drwxr-xr-x - abisox abadmgrp 0 2018-05-05 01:03 /data/backup/prd/xyz/20180302 drwxr-xr-x - abisox abadmgrp 0 2018-05-05 01:03... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshupant
2 Replies
uuclean(1M)															       uuclean(1M)

NAME
uuclean - uucp spool directory clean-up SYNOPSIS
[options] DESCRIPTION
The commands, including are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. scans the spool directories for files with the specified prefix and deletes all those that are older than the specified number of hours. Options recognizes the following options: Clean directory instead of the spool directory. If directory is not a valid spool directory, it cannot contain ``work files''; i.e., files whose names start with These files have special meaning to pertaining to job statistics. Scan for files with pre as the file prefix. Up to 10 arguments can be specified. A without any pre following will cause all files older than the specified time to be deleted. Files whose age is more than time hours are deleted if the prefix test is satisfied (default time is 72 hours). The default action for is to remove files that are older than a specified time (see option). The option is used to find files older than time hours; however, the files are not deleted. If the argument file is present the warning is placed in file; oth- erwise, the warnings go to the standard output. Only files destined for system sys are examined. Up to 10 arguments can be specified. The option sends mail to the owner of the file when it is deleted. If a file is specified, an entry is placed in file. This program is typically started by (see cron(1M)). WARNINGS
Use of commands, including is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. FILES
spool directory SEE ALSO
uucp(1), uux(1), cron(1M), uucleanup(1M). Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. Grace Todino and Dale Dougherty, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. TO BE OBSOLETED uuclean(1M)