Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab and shell pb
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Crontab and shell pb Post 302182691 by bakunin on Monday 7th of April 2008 10:46:15 AM
Old 04-07-2008
The reason is that "> file" is a redirection. A redirection makes only sense if there is a process which output can be redirected. If you execute the redirection on the commandline then this process is the shell itself. If you execute it from crom there is no such process and hence the construct doesn't make any sense.

I hope this helps.

Btw., what was your intention? What do you want to achieve? Maybe we can find a solution for this instead of telling you why your statement won't work.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

no shell invoked in crontab

Hi all, I am trying to run a script in crontab but I receive the email below. Note the empty variable SHELL. Apparently cron doesn't invoke a shell. That explains the errors in the script it is trying to execute. Anyone know what maybe wrong? Subject: Output from cron job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivanushka
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i run a shell script without crontab.

Hi Folks, Could you please suggest me how to run a shell script on a solaris env without using crontab. I am actually trying to write a shell script which will grep "WORD" in the logfile andd sends a email.Thanks in advance. Thanks Sandeep. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep anand
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a job to crontab via shell script

Is it possible to add a job to crontab with a shell script? The existing jobs in the crontab should exist as it was. The new job should be appended. Also, the crontab file is /var/spool/cron/root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change crontab from shell script

Hi All, I have scheduled a script to run every five minutes through crontab. If there is any issue with the script which may need manual intervention, I have used the mailx commands. But at the same time, I would want the cron to be disabled until the issue is resolved. Once things are fine,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adi_2_chaos
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use crontab for a shell script..

hi, i have shell script which checks for service running on platform, if service is receiving calls, then do nothing if service is not receiving calls, then stop the service i want to run this script in 2 timeslots. i.e. in the day from 9 am to 5 pm it should run every 10 minutes and ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wants to change shell script into crontab

Hi friends, Actually i wrote many scripts in korn shell for time saving activity in storage domain. But every week i am spending some time for the running of script. So every Monday i wants to run my scripts automatically. So corn will be helpful according to my friend's opinion. But I don't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahendranath
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Shell script not working in crontab

Hi Iam running below script in crontab but its not working. #!/bin/sh cd /Scripts /usr/local/bin/expect -f /Scripts/bng_backup.exp /Scripts/data.txt tar -cf bngbackup.tar bngbackup ;gzip bngbackup.tar when iam running manually the output file is generating..but bngbackup.tar.gz file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in running shell script in crontab

I'm having a shell script which has to be run only once at the specified time. Shell script is like following, #!/bin/bash db2 connect to XXX > connection_status.txt This script is scheduled in crontab as following, 50 4 8 5 0 sh script.sh scheduled script is run at the specified time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gandhi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with a crontab shell

Hi everyone, can you help me ?, I have the following shell: DIR="/backups/backdata" DIR_2="/BACKOPENF/database" LOG="/backups/logs/oracle_backup.log" EXP_LOG="/backups/logs/Exp`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.log" EXP_FILE="Exp`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.dmp" HOLD_DAY=1 # String de conexion... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manolo
4 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)