Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How search,edit and save the file Post 302182640 by Vichu on Monday 7th of April 2008 07:11:30 AM
Old 04-07-2008
How search,edit and save the file

Hi All,

I want to edit a file using shell script..For ex...a file called /etc/passwd..here I am searching for "ftp" if it is there just change it to "tftp" without using any temporary file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a file and save the changes

I have an xml file that gets created as a part of daily build. I have to modify some lines in this file, uncomment some lines, comment some line, add 2 new lines in the file every time. Is there an easier automated way to do this using perl, bash, or sh. I would appreciate it if someone can point... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh1982
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for & edit rows & columns in data file and pipe

Dear unix gurus, I have a data file with header information about a subject and also 3 columns of n rows of data on various items he owns. The data file looks something like this: adam peter blah blah blah blah blah blah car 01 30 200 02 31 400 03 57 121 .. .. .. .. .. .. n y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a line and save it in a variable

Hi I want to read a file line by line and search for a particular string in each line(say for example string containing @ )and save that string into a variable. Can someone suggest me the way to implement it.I am using K- shell Thanks Ishita (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ishita
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and edit in the same file using awk

Hi, I am having a user.txt contains the name of users and passwd.txt file contains as passwd.txt $cat usr.txt root bin daemon cap $cat passwd.txt root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/ksh bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/csh daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/usr/bin/ksh adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cURL to save online search results

Hi, I'm attacking this from ignorance because I am not sure how to even ask the question. Here is the mission: I have a list of about 4,000 telephone numbers for past customers. I need to determine how many of these customers are still in business. Obviously, I could call all the numbers.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jccbin
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the switch to let sed edit and save file

I remember there is a sed switch i can use to edit and save the file at the same time, but i cannot recall it at all. so instead of -> sed 's/A/B/' file > file-tmp -> mv file-tmp file what can i do to just let sed edit and save the "file" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and save it as .txt file with some name..

Hello, I have a note pad at /usr/abc location with the following content, since it is a huge file i need to split it into multiple .txt files. A123|akdhj |21kjsdff |b212b1b21 |0 A123asdasd |assdd |asdasdsdqw|6 A123|QEWQ |NMTGHJK |zxczxczx|3 A123|GEGBGH |RTYBN ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot save edit on cron on Solaris 10

Hi Everyone, I have edited my cron using 'crontab -e'. When I try to save the changes using ':wq!' The file closes but the changes are not saved. I get the following messages: "/tmp/crontabJFainH" 45 lines, 2996 characters trail.log crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlet
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
CHPASS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CHPASS(1)

NAME
chpass, chfn, chsh -- add or change user database information SYNOPSIS
chpass [-l location] [-u authname] [-s newshell] [user] DESCRIPTION
The chpass utility allows editing of the user database information associated with user or, by default, the current user. The chpass utility cannot change the user's password on Open Directory systems. Use the passwd(1) utility instead. The chfn, and chsh utilities behave identically to chpass. (There is only one program.) The information is formatted and supplied to an editor for changes. Only the information that the user is allowed to change is displayed. The options are as follows: -l location If not specified, chpass will perform a search for the user record on all available Open Directory nodes. When specified, chpass will edit the user record on the directory node at the given location. -u authname The user name to use when authenticating to the directory node containing the user. -s newshell Attempt to change the user's shell to newshell. Possible display items are as follows: Login: user's login name Uid: user's login Gid: user's login group Generated uid: user's UUID Full Name: user's real name Office Location: user's office location Office Phone: user's office phone Home Phone: user's home phone Home Directory: user's home directory Shell: user's login shell The login field is the user name used to access the computer account. The uid field is the number associated with the login field. Both of these fields should be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) as they control file access. While it is possible to have multiple entries with identical login names and/or identical user id's, it is usually a mistake to do so. Rou- tines that manipulate these files will often return only one of the multiple entries, and that one by random selection. The group field is the group that the user will be placed in at login. Since BSD supports multiple groups (see groups(1)) this field cur- rently has little special meaning. This field may be filled in with either a number or a group name (see group(5)). The generated uid field is the globally unique identifier (UUID) for the user. The full name field contains the full name of the user. The user's home directory is the full UNIX path name where the user will be placed at login. The shell field is the command interpreter the user prefers. If the shell field is empty, the Bourne shell, /bin/sh, is assumed. When altering a login shell, and not the super-user, the user may not change from a non-standard shell or to a non-standard shell. Non-standard is defined as a shell not found in /etc/shells. The picture field is the path to a picture to be displayed for the user. OPEN DIRECTORY
User database entries are under the control of DirectoryService(8) and may be physically located in many different places, including the local Directory Service node, and remote LDAP servers. This version of chpass uses Open Directory to change user database information. It does not interact with the historic flat file database /etc/master.passwd ENVIRONMENT
The vi(1) editor will be used unless the environment variable EDITOR is set to an alternate editor. When the editor terminates, the informa- tion is re-read and used to update the user database itself. Only the user, or the super-user, may edit the information associated with the user. FILES
/etc/chpass.XXXXXX temporary copy of the data to edit /etc/shells the list of approved shells SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), getusershell(3), passwd(5) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX Password security. HISTORY
The chpass utility appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD