Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory How to find Dependent libraries in ELF file? Post 302181744 by ravinder.are on Friday 4th of April 2008 12:39:36 AM
Old 04-04-2008
thanks for your replay,

yes you are right the the ldd tool lists the dependent shared libraries that the executable requires, along with their paths if found.

But i want to write an application which shoud do the same functionality.
Please suggest me how to interprete the ELF file to collect the information.
i need exactly as LDD tool.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script execution dependent upon a file landing in a certain directory

Hi all, I'm looking to write a script that is dependent upon the existence of 2 files each in separate directories. My thought was to do: **psuedo code ** execute script check directory 1 for file1 if file exists then execute script 2 ( checking directory 2 for file 2) else... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keladar
3 Replies

2. Linux

editing ELF file

Hello, This is not exactly relevant to Linux kernel but I'm gonna ask any way. Is there any way I can modify a 64-bit ELF object file to make it look like 32-bit ELF object file and link it (using `ld`) with 32-bit ELF file? I tried libelf but was unsuccessful. I had this pretty link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejuwala
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is ELF-64 executable object file - IA64. How i know that the source is Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software? Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find programs that are missing libraries.

I had to whip this up, and it seems useful enough to post here. Say you have been cleaning up your filesystem, and you removed a bunch of libraries, or you shuffled around some library directories, and aren't sure if ld.so.conf is correctly setup. You want to sweep through your file system looking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

5. Linux

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
0 Replies

6. Programming

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Not a Vaild ELF File

Hi Anyone, I have two disks , one is primary and anothe is mirror. I checked my mirror disk , It was fine. After that i booted from my primary disk, did some installations regarding kernel patches. It did not get booted properly. It says ==================== Not a valid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files one file is dependent and it does not show an output

xxxxx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
2 Replies

9. Programming

A help to create an ELF file

Hi!!! How do I create a file .ELF? What code should I use, could help me with a simple code or example? I know programming to Windows by important languages but this seems to be more sistematical, and I really don't know how to. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linecoder
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris: ldd doesn't find libraries in exported environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I have given the relevant details below. Why are the libraries in /export/home/builds/pc9x_root/960/build/powrmart/pmbuild/bin/SunOS.64.r are invisible to ldd? %setenv ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_as_a_fossil
3 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)