Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Generation file copying for tech support backup Post 302181515 by sjohnson on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 07:51:13 AM
Old 04-03-2008
line 64 is

Code:
for my $curFile ( reverse <$ArcPathLookup> ) {

if I leave the path arg blank it works, but when the path is added I get the readline error.

While looking around I found this in a perl doc:

Code:
 opendir(DIR, $dirname) or die "can't opendir $dirname: $!";
    while (defined($file = readdir(DIR))) {
        # do something with "$dirname/$file"
    }
    closedir(DIR);

If I am understanding this correctly:
  • it opens the dir
  • the while processes the files within the dir
  • then it closes it

I'm thinking that I can use this to rework the code to include an optional path arg. but I'll probably need to write 2 subs, one for the path arg and one for no path arg.

It's going to be messy but that's all I can think of right now...

Any better ideas?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script: Copying and removing directories based on list

I am writing a simple backup script, but I cannot figure out how to remove directories that are found in a list. For example: DONT_COPY=" .adobe/ .bin/google-earth " tar -zcvf - * --exclude=$DONT_COPY | openssl des3 -salt -k $1 | dd of=$(hostname)-$(date +%Y%m%d).tbz > COPIED Note that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Report Generation

hi all i need to generate a report file that contains the following details of files present in a directory. 1. File name 2.Complete path for each files and directory 3.File size 4.Days older example i have a directory testing that contains sub-directories and some files. i need to make a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

generation of control file

Hi, I wanted to create a control file with data in it. Also wanted to append more points like 1)Row count, then print the first field 2)first line of the file 3)last line of the file I started with this:- ls -ltr *.*| awk ' { print $9 "|" $7 $6 $8 "|" $5 } ' sed -n '1p'; sed -n '$p'; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokbaba
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file generation

Dear all Hope you are doing good. I've requirement where in I need to generate a file containing set of SQLs as per the inputs. My script flow is like reading few parameters using read command to read input to script and process the inputs. However at one of the input, my script has to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Core File Generation

Hi I am using Linux and I am using Java as well as C++ services running on it. The ulimit -c is set to around 400Mb. Whenever any of the service fails they produce a core file.(Actual size of core could be greater than 400Mb). Whenever my Java service fails I get a core file of size 400Mb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Your Favorite Tech Support Web Sites and Why?

Where do you go to participate in technical discussions besides UNIX.COM and why? Personally, I do not really participate in other forums and discussion boards, but I do ask questions from time to time on Stack sites. The problem I have with Stack is that my questions are never answered on any... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
30 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xls file generation

Hi Team, Is it possible to generate the xls OR xlsx file factility in Unix and xls file should be more than one sheet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk123
2 Replies
opendir(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       opendir(3C)

NAME
opendir, fdopendir - open directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> DIR *opendir(const char *dirname); DIR *fdopendir(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The opendir() function opens a directory stream corresponding to the directory named by the dirname argument. The fdopendir() function opens a directory stream for the directory file descriptor fildes. The directory file descriptor should not be used or closed following a successful function call, as this might cause undefined results from future operations on the directory stream obtained from the call. Use closedir(3C) to close a directory stream. The directory stream is positioned at the first entry. If the type DIR is implemented using a file descriptor, applications will only be able to open up to a total of {OPEN_MAX} files and directories. A successful call to any of the exec functions will close any directory streams that are open in the calling process. See exec(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, opendir() and fdopendir() return a pointer to an object of type DIR. Otherwise, a null pointer is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The opendir() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for the component of the path prefix of dirname or read permission is denied for dirname. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the dirname argument exceeds {PATH_MAX}, or a path name component is longer than {NAME_MAX} while {_POSIX_NO_TRUNC} is in effect. ENOENT A component of dirname does not name an existing directory or dirname is an empty string. ENOTDIR A component of dirname is not a directory. The fdopendir() function will fail if: ENOTDIR The file descriptor fildes does not reference a directory. The opendir() function may fail if: EMFILE There are {OPEN_MAX} file descriptors currently open in the calling process. ENAMETOOLONG Pathname resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result whose length exceeds PATH_MAX. ENFILE Too many files are currently open on the system. USAGE
The opendir() and fdopendir() functions should be used in conjunction with readdir(3C), closedir(3C) and rewinddir(3C) to examine the con- tents of the directory (see the EXAMPLES section in readdir(3C)). This method is recommended for portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |opendir() is Standard; | | |fdopendir() is Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lstat(2), symlink(2), closedir(3C), readdir(3C), rewinddir(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2001 opendir(3C)