Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk and grep command usage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk and grep command usage Post 302181490 by ranj@chn on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 05:21:10 AM
Old 04-03-2008
search first

Do a google first. Check awk and grep. Also, do a
Code:
man awk

or
Code:
man grep

on your Unix box.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command usage in shell

hi, I am facing a problem when i use grep command in shell script. problem is as follows... 1)i has declared an variable (say a) 2)Now i am searching for an pattern in a file and i used the followig command cat /wls_../../scripts/log.txt | grep $a-JUL-08 i am not getting any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth_t
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command usage

what is the grep command to get the second occurence of pattern in a file or how to do with sed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/awk usage

Hi everybody, i know this question is common on the forum and i've searched for my answer but haven't quite found it. I'm trying to extract some values from a number of log files which look like this: Peak Power Consumption: 0.20777 Watts Observed Average Power: 0.1414794247 Watts The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aKiiY
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of grep command to extract only the words.

Dear Folks, I am a newbee to UNIX. I want to extract the SQLSTATE from a log file. For example the log file content is SQL0010N The string constant beginning with "' from table1 a, table 2" does not have an ending string delimiter. SQLSTATE=42603 when I give the the command as ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of AWK command under perl script

i have two files as shown below t1.txt: argument1 argu2 argu37 t2.txt: 22 33 44 i want o/p as argument1 22 argu2 33 argu37 44 i am trying to merge two file under perl script using following system("paste t1.txt t2.txt | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of Awk command for output

Hi Experts, I have a Text file generated as below; <NAME> NEW#<technicalName><TAB> <Version> OLD#<technicalName><TAB> <Version> e.g. CH_PPV_AUDIT_DISTRIBUTOR NEW#EL_CFG_FTP_DISTRIBUTOR 2.1.0.upc2 OLD#EL_CFG_FTP_DISTRIBUTOR 2.1.0.upc1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajangupta2387
19 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Usage of tail command in .awk

Hi, I want to do file format using awk script, for that i wan to use 'tail'. Here is the scenario. I will be having set of files in a directory. Those files i need to write to another directory with same file name, but while writing the file to out directory, i need to write the last line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkata Madhu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)