Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help removing the prefix of more than 10,000 files Post 302181372 by bbbngowc on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 09:14:37 PM
Old 04-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin
Code:
for file in raw_ddd*
do
     mv "$file" "$(echo "$file" | awk '{sub(/raw_ddd_04_\*/,"")}1')"
done

Something is not right with this command. It's trying to rename the file but using the same name. I'm getting errors that the 2 files are the same.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Microsoft "Donates" $3,000,000,000 to Feds

Surreal quote from the news link below: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44615-2002Nov12.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take 100MB worth files from 200,000 Files

Hi, I have a process which creates almost 200K files. Each file ranging from 1kb to 5kb. This is almost 2GB of data in all files. I have a requirement where the business needs only 100MB worth of files. Is there a way to get files around 100MB (doesn't have to be exactly 100MB) from all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add foldername as prefix to files

Hi there, I am looping through folders in order to rename the files in the current folder. So, given me being a newbie here, I would do that with a for-loop. The renaming per se should be like this: I want to add the folder-name as a prefix to the files in the folder in question. For instance,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jahndavik
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing only Prefix string (!)

Hello everyone, I want to remove only prefix ME_ from all the values that are present in the FILEA. Below code I'm using for this. sed 's/ME\_//g' FILEA > FILEB Using the above code, all ME_ values are getting removed from the file. But the problem here is I want to remove only Prefix ME_... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ed_9
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Uniq prefix from a start and end prefix

Dear All, assume i have a file with content: <Start>6000</Start> <Stop>7599</Stop> the output is: 6000 7000 7100 7200 7300 7400 7599 how should we use any awk, sed, perl can do this task, means to extract the uniq prefixes from the start and stop prefix. Thanks Jimmy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-n] [-q] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to run unless given -f or -n. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -x Don't use the ignore rules. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. AUTHOR
Written by Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org[1]> GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. proski@gnu.org mailto:proski@gnu.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-CLEAN(1)