Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons Post 302180968 by NPG10245 on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 03:43:36 PM
Old 04-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarrot
We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of this strategy?

John Garrott
Hi all,

I am in a similar situation to what John here has outlined. Has anyone got this solution of booting from a Symmetrix and using SRDF to replicate the lun, to work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NFS Pros and Cons

Can anyone provide the pros and cons of having an NFS mount on an AIX server. Or direct me to documentation that provides this information. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX disk less with SAN

Hi All, I have mirrored SAN volume on my B80 rootvg. Can I just remove the mirror and "Remove a P V from a V G" and it will be a diskless AIX? Is that going to boot on SAN rootvg volume? Thanks in advance, itik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Password Automation pros/cons

folks, I have a security related question, to all you. Please share your comments with me. I have a situation where i was asked to automate the password in my application, which expires every 6 months. In this case i need to generate a random password and set the password on some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
2 Replies

4. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

PING pros and cons

I have some questions regarding ping a. im planning to add all my servers to nagios for monitoring purposes. since nagios will do "PING" on the IP address (to check if UP or down), will there be affect on all my servers? say resource utilization, memory, etc? Will it add up or slow down the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pros and cons for Text User Interface and Curses::UI

Anyone has experience or study with Text User Interface and Curses::UI using Perl? - What is the criteria to decide which method is better for a console based UI? - Which DTL (dialog tag language) is supported by these? The background is that I want to write a wrapper over some UNIX tools... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikrantl
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pros and cons of a Journaled file System

Hello, Could anyone please enumerate some of the pros and cons to using a Journaled FileSystem? ---------- Post updated at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ---------- I know clearly not losing data during a failed move or copy is a big pro, correct? Let's build off of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

8. AIX

SAN Disk Appearing double in AIX

Hello Folks, I have directly connected my IBM Pseries AIX machine to SAN Storage I have a dual port Fibre Channel Adapter Connected both fiber ports to SAN Box IBM DS4500 Controller A & Controller B Using IBM DS storage manager client 10 -- created one logical disk and assigned to a... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
18 Replies

9. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

10. AIX

San disk appearing double in old AIX

Hi guys, :) I'm a studient in IT field (AIX) I'm trying to map a LUN from a SAN (DS3400) to an AIX server (5300-04-00) I know there is no MPIO on this version of AIX, and i see double my LUN from the SAN root@localhost # lscfg | grep hdisk + hdisk7 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
13 Replies
netstrategy(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   netstrategy(1M)

NAME
netstrategy - return network configuration information SYNOPSIS
/sbin/netstrategy DESCRIPTION
The netstrategy command determines the network configuration strategy in use on a system and returns information in a form that is easily consumable by a script. The command returns three tokens: <root filesystem type> <primary interface> <network config strategy> These tokens are described as follows: <root filesystem type> Type of filesystem that contains the bootable kernel, as would be specified in the fstype column of the mnttab(4). <primary interface> Name of the primary network interface. For a diskless machine, this is the interface used to load the kernel. <network config strategy> The means by which a system obtains its IP address for booting. This can be one of rarp, dhcp, or none. The netstrategy command is not intended for use on a command line. OPTIONS
The netstrategy command has no options. EXIT STATUS
0 Success. !=0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), mnttab(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 May 2007 netstrategy(1M)