Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing asterisk to a script as variable Post 302180924 by GKnight on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 01:08:56 PM
Old 04-01-2008
Nope, still doesn't work... I tried that one as well. It doesn't expand the file list anymore, but then I have the backslash as part of my variable (see below for an example).

I'm not sure it's the shell that's expanding the variable:

Code:
$ echo "some_command \* options"
some_command \* options
$ echo "some_command * options"
some_command * options

meanwhile, by adding "echo $COMMAND" to my script, I get:

Code:
./test-script "some_command * options"
some_command ...list of files... options

./test-script "some_command \* options"
some_command \* options

I tried running the script from bash and ksh with the same results.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to my script

Hello everybody: Im trying to run the following script on my sol9 machine: line='' ((lineCount= 0)) export lineCount more /tmp/MSISDNs | wc -l > /tmp/tmp cat /tmp/tmp | read lineCount export lineCount; while (( lineCount > 0 )) do line= tail -$lineCount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore * (asterisk) in a variable

I am using a shell script to read SQL statements stored in a DB2 table and write them out to a file. The problem I have is that some SQL statements have an "*" in them which gets resolved as the list of files in the current directory when I run the script. How can I prevent the "*" from being... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradtri2
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing asterisk As A Parameter

I have written a Shell Script Program which accepts 3 parameters as shown below: ./calc 20 + 2 in the above line ./calc is the Shell Script itself with 3 parameters, namely: 20 + and 2. Well, now let's look inside the Script: result=$1$2$3 echo $result The output will be as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign * asterisk to variable?

How can I assign asterisk to variable I have try a="\* " but I was not succesful :( any idea ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from shell script to python script

I have a shell script main.sh which inturn call the python script ofdm.py, I want to pass two variables from shell script to python script for its execution. How do i achieve this ????? Eg: main.sh a=3 b=3; c= a+b exec python ofdm.py ofdm.py d=c+a Thanks in Anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help passing variable from script

Hello, How can I pass a variable into a 2nd file? I'm running a script: ls -la $1 >pem99 cat pem99 | awk '{ print $3}' >us99 cat us99 | read us98 This then tells me the owner of a file. my second file is: echo OWNER GROUP OTHERS echo echo --data-- $us98 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use asterisk in variable

Hi All, I am having a challange to pass the asterisk in the variable. Basically, I am writing a shell script to check if a marker file exists but when I am assigning the varialbe it cannot use the wildcard asterisk as expected, therefore, my program is always outputs "Marker file is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD