Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing asterisk to a script as variable Post 302180915 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 12:43:06 PM
Old 04-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKnight
I'm writing a script that will ssh to a number of hosts and run commands. I'm a bit stumped at the moment as some of the commands that I need to run contain wildcards (i.e. *), and so far I have not figured out how to escape the * character so the script doesn't expand it. More specifically, here's an excerpt of the script.

Let's say I'm trying to pass a command some_command * options to the script. No matter how I tried escaping the *, $@ variable always converts it to the list of files. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Quote the variables. It is not $@ that expands the asterisk, but the shell that called the script.

You will also have to escape the asterisk:
[CODE]
COMMAND="whatever \* whatever"
ssh "$HOST" "$COMMAND"
{/CODE]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to my script

Hello everybody: Im trying to run the following script on my sol9 machine: line='' ((lineCount= 0)) export lineCount more /tmp/MSISDNs | wc -l > /tmp/tmp cat /tmp/tmp | read lineCount export lineCount; while (( lineCount > 0 )) do line= tail -$lineCount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore * (asterisk) in a variable

I am using a shell script to read SQL statements stored in a DB2 table and write them out to a file. The problem I have is that some SQL statements have an "*" in them which gets resolved as the list of files in the current directory when I run the script. How can I prevent the "*" from being... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradtri2
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing asterisk As A Parameter

I have written a Shell Script Program which accepts 3 parameters as shown below: ./calc 20 + 2 in the above line ./calc is the Shell Script itself with 3 parameters, namely: 20 + and 2. Well, now let's look inside the Script: result=$1$2$3 echo $result The output will be as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign * asterisk to variable?

How can I assign asterisk to variable I have try a="\* " but I was not succesful :( any idea ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from shell script to python script

I have a shell script main.sh which inturn call the python script ofdm.py, I want to pass two variables from shell script to python script for its execution. How do i achieve this ????? Eg: main.sh a=3 b=3; c= a+b exec python ofdm.py ofdm.py d=c+a Thanks in Anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help passing variable from script

Hello, How can I pass a variable into a 2nd file? I'm running a script: ls -la $1 >pem99 cat pem99 | awk '{ print $3}' >us99 cat us99 | read us98 This then tells me the owner of a file. my second file is: echo OWNER GROUP OTHERS echo echo --data-- $us98 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use asterisk in variable

Hi All, I am having a challange to pass the asterisk in the variable. Basically, I am writing a shell script to check if a marker file exists but when I am assigning the varialbe it cannot use the wildcard asterisk as expected, therefore, my program is always outputs "Marker file is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)