Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output in my shell isn't showing properly. Post 302180562 by ilan on Monday 31st of March 2008 01:09:42 PM
Old 03-31-2008
Hi Satya,

your very first version of code itself should work properly; can you try this...

#!'which sh'
for dt_val in `cut -f 1 -d '|' /prod/ods/satyaki/sqlldr/grp.dat`
do
echo $dt_val
done

I just declared the shell to be used as sh. If this doesn't work...can you tell the OS which you are using and the o/p of "which sh" command?

-ilan

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to output the results of the AT command - properly!

Hi, I am new to UNIX and I am more used to simple commands like those in VMS. One of them is the ability to get the output from a job using the /out=<file> command in VMS. I want to submit a job (a set of unix commands) using the AT command but to get the output in a file like that used in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpanishPassion
4 Replies

2. Solaris

not getting the output properly

i am entering the command, not get the total out put see the output what i am getting. SQL> select dbms_metadata.get_ddl ('TABLESPACE','SYSTEM') FROM DUAL; DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('TABLESPACE','SYSTEM') -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to zero fill df output so it will sort properly

I'm looking for a way in Korn shell to zero fill (or space fill) the output from df so that it will sort properly. "Raw" output from df -k: df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 4131866 3593302 497246 88% / /proc ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Isn't a shell found on a beach? Need help nesting if's or loops.

As of a week ago i thought a shell was somthing found on a beach. I'm a virgin when it comes to scripting and i'm having a really bad time here. What i need to do is prompt for a group number grep the /etc/groups to get the GID and name if it exists i want to prompt the user for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: switchkill
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script, why isn't if printing message?

Why isn't printing message? 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7 val=$(something "Hello " "world") But it prints. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Showing strange size in df output

Hi, This is Solaris-10 box and in few of file-system (root file-system of non global zones), usage/available is not showing correct size. I am not able to figure out, what is eating up this space. Global Server - bdrpod01 Non Global zone - bdrpod01-zputq01 root@bdrpod01:/root# df -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Now showing the correct output

Hello I am working on one script where I am trying to display all the directories which is inside the workspace but somehow it is giving me weird output and this is occurring only with one directory other also having the result.html file inside the directory. for i in `ls -1 | egrep -iv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command showing no output!

Hi Folks, I have a situation here, where no command is giving any output, and it's not even showing any error message also. What could be the reason? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pgrep not showing desired output

I am searching for a process that should be up and running. Im using the following command ps -ef | grep elasticsearch to get elastic+ 1673 1 0 Jan29 ? 05:08:56 /bin/java -Xms4g -Xmx4g -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)