Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix ID deleted - What happen to process Post 302180416 by cmgreat on Monday 31st of March 2008 06:19:34 AM
Old 03-31-2008
Unix ID deleted - What happen to process

I have an unix id (AIX system) which is used to run a couple of processes. They also write some log files into a file system (that is not in the home directory of the user id, but in different location).

One bad day, the id was deleted accidentally. But the home directory, files and everything else were safe.

The processes were running for long time, say days or weeks. I did not see they were stopped or affected directly due to the id deletion. However, the application that uses the processes was not behaving the way it had to.

My questions are:

1. How long the processes will go, after the id got delted?
2. What happens if one of the processes is trying to write the log throug the delted user id?
3. Any other hints or notes that will help me in this situation?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost or deleted data in Unix?

Quote: "Until the space is used for another file, it is not deleted and the data can be recovered (although it may require jumping through hoops)." Unquote I know this is true in the Windows world, but I didn't think it was true of Unix. I had always been told once it was deleted in Unix, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to find out how/when/who deleted particular dierectory on UNIX Aix3

Hi.. I am new to unix. And I am trying to learn more about admin part of it. We have come across a situation where one of the directory gets deleted everyday at 4:00 pm by some process. We are unable to find out what deletes that directory, seems like a automated job.. but there is nothing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipas
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover deleted file in unix

hi after using rm command how to recover the deleted file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to recover deleted files in unix

Hi Experts, by mistake i deleted some files that are very important to the project. is there any way that i can recover those files,there is no backup for that but the details of the file we know. This will be a great help. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring back a deleted file in unix.

Hi, Can any one tell me how to restore back the deleted file in unix? I know the file name. If i know the inode number of the file does help more to restore back the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

6. Programming

what would happen if a process wrote to its own stdin?

what would happen if a process wrote to its own stdin? #include<unistd.h> #include<fcntl.h> int main() { if((write(STDIN_FILENO,"arrgh!",6))==-1) { perror("error writing to file"); } } output: $ gcc temp.c $ ./a.out arrgh!$ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What Does Happen During Boot Process? - BIOS and MBR

I'm talking about boot process in multi-boot Linux perceptive. Please tell me whether my explanation is right or wrong? If wrong, please explain. "The BIOS checks the system and loads this initial bootstrapping code into memory. This initial bootstrap code searches for an active partition... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Do Linux "Sleep Mode" Problems Happen on UNIX?

I am an experienced MS Windows user who has tried four different flavors of Linux: Mandriva, Centos, Debian, and Ubantu---each on a different PC. (I always used a dual-boot configuration with Grub and Win XP or Win 7). Each time, I encountered the following two problems: While resuming from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to list deleted files in UNIX?

Hi All, Its an interview question. I just want to know the answer of below question. 1) How to list deleted files in unix (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
13 Replies
fsx(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    fsx(8)

NAME
fsx - file system exerciser SYNOPSIS
/usr/field/fsx [-h] [-ofile] [-tn] [-fpath] [-pm] OPTIONS
The fsx options are: Prints the help messages for the fsx command. Saves the output diagnostics in file. Run time in minutes (n). The default is to run until the process receives a Ctrl/C or a kill -15 pid command. Number (m) of fsx processes to spawn. The maximum is 250; the default is 20. Path name of directory on file system you wish to test. For example, /mnt or /usr. The default is /usr/field. DESCRIPTION
The fsx exerciser spawns the background process fsxr, and these two processes exercise a file system by creating, opening, writing, open- ing, reading, validating, closing, and unlinking a test file. These test files are created in the /usr/field directory (the default) unless the -fpath option is used. You can spawn up to 250 (default is 20) fsx processes (fsxr1, fsxr2, ... fsxrn where n is the number of processes spawned). The exerciser will run until a Ctrl/C or kill -15 pid command is sent to the process. A logfile for you to examine and then remove is created in the current working directory. If there are errors in the logfile, make sure you check the syslog file where the driver and kernel error messages are saved. RESTRICTIONS
If you must run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system, there are some restrictions. For exercisers such as fsx(8), which must write into a file system, the target file system must be writable by root. Also, the directory in which any of the exercisers are executed must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the current directory. These latter restrictions are some- times difficult to overcome because often NFS file systems are mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them. Some of the restrictions may be overcome by copying fsx and fsxr to another directory and then executing it. Avoid using the fsx exerciser over an NFS or diskless file system. Each time you run fsx, it creates a log file. The exerciser allows you to accumulate up to 9 log files. If you run fsx to create a tenth log file, it exits and displays the following error messages: fsx: Remove old log files fsx: Can not start report generator, test aborted When this situation occurs, remove at least one log file and run fsx again. EXAMPLES
The following example runs 10 fsx processes on /mnt until the process receives a Ctrl/C or kill -15 pid command: % /usr/field/fsx -p10 -f/mnt The following example runs 20 fsx processes on /usr/field for 120 minutes in the background: % /usr/field/fsx -t120 & SEE ALSO
Commands: cmx(8), diskx(8), memx(8), shmx(8), tapex(8) fsx(8)