Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I can't seem to pass variables properly into a nawk statement Post 302180151 by era on Sunday 30th of March 2008 05:52:55 AM
Old 03-30-2008
In awk, $m means the field number indicated by the number in the variable m. So no wonder that part didn't work.

Something tells me the values of your variables are not completely right. We saw that m equals "Mar" but what about n? I would say that what you have ought to work but I haven't looked that closely.

As an aside, date has options to output just the month name or the day within the month; see its manual page for details. That's also more portable because the default date output format depends on the user's locale, etc.

You are not using e for anything. I would advise against using backticks -- just redirect the output straight where you want it. But the nawk script looks like a promising start.

P.S. The log file is probably growing while you work so could it be that you got unlucky, and the last line didn't happen to have today's date when you tested that awk script?

Last edited by era; 03-30-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Add P.S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pf not working properly even with only "pass in all" and "pass out all" rules

i have two rules in my pf.conf file, "pass in all" and "pass out all" i was having issues with getting pf working to begin with, so i went with starting from nothing and working on up. i have an ultrasparc ultra1 200e, with an added 4-port fast ethernet sbus card, running "3.4 GENERIC#85... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

is it possible to pass external variable values to nawk?

Dear friends, please tell me how to pass the external variable values to the nawk command. length=`expr $len2 - $len1` i need to pass $length to following nawk command as mentioned below. nawk '{if((x=index($0,"W/X"))>0){id=substr($0,x, $length);print x;print id;}}' filename1 but I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swamymns
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not processing if statement properly

Hi I am trying to create a shell script that will look for a contracthead file first and if the contract head file does not exist on day1 exit script. Now on day2 if contracthead exists or not run the script uploading files in order such as contract line then contract contact so the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathan184
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

5. AIX

can't parse this nawk statement

hi all i have the following portion in an xml file: </n:AOMessage> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <n:AOMessage xmlns:n="urn:ao:hs:update:shell" xmlns:bo="urn:ao:hs" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ao:hs:update:shell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get shell parameters to pass properly to sqlplus

Gurus, The issue I'm having is that my Shell won't accept SQL parameters properly...... Here's they way I'm running it.... applmgr@ga006hds => sh CW_MigrationDeployScript.sh apps <appspwd> <SID> '01-JAN' '31-MAR' The process just hangs not submitting the SQL job... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhoDatWhoDer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter to nawk from shell script

I need to parse log files using nawk, but I'm not able to pass script input argument (date) to nawk, for example: ------------ #!/bin/ksh read date nawk -F, '{if($1==date) print $4" "$5}' ------------- Is there a way to pass an argument to nawk from shell script. Many thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-how to properly READ and PASTE variables.

Recently i made a script for a project at molecular dynamics but am stuck at the last step.The thing i want to do is to ask the user to input the number of particles, then replace the bolded numbers at lines 9 and 17.. code #!/bin/bash #read number of particles echo "insert the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arisinhell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass nawk variable to shell within the same script?

Hi All, I tried googling but so far no luck, can someone tell me how pass the variable value used inside the nawk command to shell. In the below script i get the value of $c (without color: Total Executed: " c ") but the printf which is outside the nawk command doesn't print the value or it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass shell arguments into Nawk/awk

Hi, I am in critical need of help, Thanks a ton for your help. I need to know how to pass the shell argument into nawk code in AIX. so that my file gets passed into that awk script and it can execute it part. To be detail, i have more than 100 files and in those files a particular field... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
6 Replies
cronosplit(1m)															    cronosplit(1m)

NAME
cronosplit - split log files into cronolog-compatible files SYNOPSIS
cronosplit --template=TEMPLATE [--print-invalid] [--help] [--version] file ... DESCRIPTION
cronosplit is a simple program that reads lines from a set of input log files, which must be in Common Log Format or NCSA Combined/XLF/ELF Format and write each lines to an output files, the name of which is constructed using the template specified and timestamp from the the line. The template uses the same format specifiers as the Unix date(1) command (which are the same as the standard C strftime library function). Options cronosplit accepts the following options and arguments: --template=TEMPLATE specifies the template for the output log files (using the format specifiers described below). --print-invalid print invalid log file entries to the standard error stream. --utime update modification time of output file according to last parsed log entry. --verbose print additional status messages to the standard error stream. --debug print debug messages to the standard error stream. --help print a help message and then exit. --version print version information and exit. Template format Each character in the template represents a character in the expanded filename, except for date and time format specifiers, which are replaced by their expansion. Format specifiers consist of a `%' followed by one of the following characters: % a literal % character n a new-line character t a horizontal tab character Time fields: H hour (00..23) I hour (01..12) p the locale's AM or PM indicator M minute (00..59) S second (00..61, which allows for leap seconds) X the locale's time representation (e.g.: "15:12:47") Z time zone (e.g. GMT), or nothing if the time zone cannot be determined Date fields: a the locale's abbreviated weekday name (e.g.: Sun..Sat) A the locale's full weekday name (e.g.: Sunday .. Saturday) b the locale's abbreviated month name (e.g.: Jan .. Dec) B the locale's full month name, (e.g.: January .. December) c the locale's date and time (e.g.: "Sun Dec 15 14:12:47 GMT 1996") d day of month (01 .. 31) j day of year (001 .. 366) m month (01 .. 12) U week of the year with Sunday as first day of week (00..53, where week 1 is the week containing the first Sunday of the year) W week of the year with Monday as first day of week (00..53, where week 1 is the week containing the first Monday of the year) w day of week (0 .. 6, where 0 corresponds to Sunday) x locale's date representation (e.g. today in Britain: "12/04/96") y year without the century (00 .. 99) Y year with the century (1970 .. 2038) Other specifiers may be available depending on the C library's implementation of the strftime function. SEE ALSO
apache(1m) cronolog(1m) date(1) strftime(3) environ(5) More information and the latest version of cronolog and cronosplit can be obtained from http://www.ford-mason.co.uk/resources/cronolog/ If you have any suggestions, bug reports, fixes, or enhancements, please mail them to the author. More about Apache Documentation for the Apache http server is available from http://www.apache.org AUTHOR
Andrew Ford <A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk> cronosplit is based on a script called splitlog by Roy Fielding, which is part of the wwwstat package. March 1998 cronosplit(1m)