Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [bash]Stripping lines from a list Post 302179915 by era on Saturday 29th of March 2008 04:04:08 AM
Old 03-29-2008
No offense, but I'm sorry, that's a really hideous script. I guess the problem is that you are grepping without anchoring the grep, so it prints any line which contains the indicated number anywhere.

Here is a refactored version, with the following changes.

* cat file | command is known as "Useless Use of Cat". Changed those.
* grep | sed similarly refactored to use only sed, anchored at the beginning
* You use $file and /tmp/file1.txt interchangeably. Standardize on the former.
* Since you are not using file1 without the nl, doing the nl once and saving it in the file.
* Remove the temp file when done.
* The second temp file is apparently unnecessary, unless you are only showing part of the script.

Code:
list=/tmp/list1.txt
trap 'rm $list' 0  # remove temp file at exit
trap 'exit 127' 1 2 3 5 15  # remove temp file if interrupted
ncftpls -u <user> -p <password> -x "-l1" server.domain.tld | nl > $list
echo "Choose file: "
# maybe display the list to the user:
# pr -bt2 "$list"
read file
sed "s/^ *$file //g" | column -t

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging 2 lines with awk and stripping first two words

Hey all i am pretty new to awk... here my problem. My input is something like this: type: NSR client; name: pegasus; save set: /, /var, /part, /part/part2, /testpartition, /foo/bar,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bazzed
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out non-numeric values in a list

hi all, i'm very new to scripting and have the folllowing issue. I have used a few commands to get a list of numbers, but I need to strip away the non-numeric ones, and then need a total of all values. any ideas? root@unixserver # cat myfile | awk '{print $8}'| sort -rn 1504 1344 896 704... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping down binaries

Hello, I am the CEO of Grand Tech Corporation. We are launching Linux NT and forgive me, but I do not know how to strip binaries down in Mandriva Linux. Can someone tell me a way to?:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux NT
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines from one list from another list.

Hello, I was wondering if there was an easy way to take lines from a single-column list, and remove them from a second single-column list. For example, I want to remove the contents of list 1 from list 2. How would I do this? Contents of list 1: server1a server2b server3c server4a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For x in a b c; { list; } (in lieu of do list; done) works (in bash) - why and how?

In this post I came across the cited construct. It works! while ... { list; } does not. man bash does not mention it (or, better, I didn't see it). Any reason for / behind this? Am I missing something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping ret of the lines in a file (sed question)

Hi all, I didn't use SED for 20 years and was never an expert. So my current knowledge is about zero. Please be patient with me. I'm neither a native speaker. I have a huge dictionary file and want the rest of the lines stripped. Everything after (and including) the "/" should be stripped. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hinnerk2005
2 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)