Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in sorting echo command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in sorting echo command Post 302179542 by Wolja on Friday 28th of March 2008 02:31:27 AM
Old 03-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjiefreak
Hi,

I have a simple question on bash.

If i printed out something like below

echo -e $q"\t\t\t"$r"\t\t\t"$s"\t\t\t"$u"\t\t\t" |sort -r >>test.txt

It cant able to sort the $q value. I tried on -nr option but still the same. For your info, the $q value is actually a floating point. I would like to sort it accordingly.

Please advise. Thanks.
If I understand your question correctly Echo is processing one line at a time so you are sorting one line then outputting it to a file which really has no effect with the sort.

Create the file then sort it with sort -rn -o test.txt test.txt

eg test.txt
13.3 b
12.3 a
10.344 c
10.3 4

sort -rn test.txt
13.3 b
12.3 a
10.344 c
10.3 4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

comm command in sorting IP

i have 2 files that contains a sorted list of IP addresses. file_A contains a list of all IPs file_B contains only around 50% of what is in file_A. I tried to execute comm -23 file_A file_B > file_C to get the difference. My objective is to put all the IPs that are in file_A but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo command with $$ $# $@

Hi, Good morning. Would you please explain to me what does it mean by the following command. echo "$$ $# $@" >> /opt/ftp_generic_send.log I know that something is being directed to log file, but not sure what exactly mean by those $$ and $# and $@ means. Thank you for your help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: howdy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a command and sorting???

How do you write a command line that displays the number of files in the working directory with names that end with the letter S? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:33 PM ---------- for unix sorry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jorogon0099
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting Command

Hi, I have a problem on data sorting, example my file as below: 123 123/789 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 112 112/123 aaa bbb ccc (ade) 102 1a3/7g9 (adf)03 110 12b/129 aaa bbb ccc ddd fff(a8f)03 117 42f/8c9 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 142 120/tyu fff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does following echo command do?

Can anybody tell me what does following command do? # echo gsoc1 | ./configure_cmd.sh Regards, akash mahakode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What will echo $$ command give

Hi I tried giving the following command echo $$a I got an output like 32178a Can some one please explain why echo $$ is returning 32178 Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo Command Help

Hi All I want to use the echo command to had some lines to a file but the lines i want to have contain " and ; here is my command system("echo user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar", 0); > $profile"); but i think there are too many " and so it barfs n e ideas thanks A (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting output of echo

can someone please tell me who to sort the numerical output of echo? UIO="8180 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48300 0 0 0 48300" echo $UIO | sort -n This doesn't workk. it does not sort the numbers from smallest to highest. any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with Echo Command

Hi All I have the big statement which needs to be appended to the file MANUALLY without opening the file. So, i tried with echo command echo " failure ( 4446): for host xx.xx.xx.xxx trying to GET /index.html, wl-proxy reports: exception occurred for backend host 'xx.xx.xxx.xx/12210/12210':... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaiela
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)