Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FreeBSD filesystem is full error by Noob Post 302179303 by madMax8911 on Thursday 27th of March 2008 11:03:09 AM
Old 03-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Looks like you made the /usr partition much too small. The others have plenty of space so you should probably just repartition. If it's a small home system with a single physical disk, you might as well lump everything in one big happy partition.

Those files you have been looking at are not particularly large; you are not using your time effectively.
The user partition is 1.8G in size which was increased from about700M in the last install (this was supposed to solve the file system is full problem but it didnot). The handbook even advised to add the /usr/local (slice?) weighing in at another 1.8G in size Plus also advised to add /var to prevent the / (root) slice from getting too full. Even if I reformat and reinstall at some point i will need to know how to delete files or DL programs which i have a lot of right now. Sorry I dont know how to repartition in FreeBSD in windows i would just use partition magic or disk management.
as for the one big partition i go through setup and it tells me to set partitions then it tells me to setup slices .... and this system will have another OS win XP home (yes install it first then FreeBSD to keep the boot intact)
I will have to try the one big partition and maybe let freeBSD auto config the slices too? or whole drive as ther is no rush to install windows yet I have it on another system.
Can anyone tell me how to display files(other than ls) and then delete them as this is the crux of my problem right now.... thanks I have to go now..Smilie
as the say Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filesystem Full

I noticed that whenever something is printed from my workstation, the available disk space in the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 decreases considerably. Hence, after using my workstation for sometime, I encounter an error message: "Filesystem Full" that prevents me from printing any further. Is there a way to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
16 Replies

2. Solaris

The filesystem is still full - Solaris 10!

Good morning, sir! I've a problem with FileSystem, the problem is FileSystem is full First time, I've already read carefully the sticky thread FileSystem full - What to lock for https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/25840-filesystem-full-what-look.html And then, I will post some information of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem full

my root filesystem is eventually full "/dev/rdsk/c1d0s0" as a result i cannot boot to the operating system, i booted into the fail safe mode to check the space using df -h command i discover that it is eventually full. Also to my amazement i found that i cannot see the filesystem which mounted on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

/ filesystem getting full

Hi All, How do I increase the root filesystem? It's getting full. / 90% Here's the break down, below 232 dev 5624 tmp *6764 bin 16860 root *19680 sbin *20436 lib64 28329 boot *47992 etc 150012 var *254540 lib 651708 home *2445044 usr (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem is full

Hello everybody, a very basic question. Inspite of me deleting huge files in a filesystem(AIX 5.3) in oracle folder, the filesystem when i check using df -k still shows 100% full. Does that mean there is a process still pointing to the files which i deleted. how do i work around this. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

6. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Filesystem Full

In our shop we have to run a batch cycle. Every so often while we are running batch we get a filesystem full situation that causes batch to stop or slow down. Anyway, the practiced procedure is to look for large files and zip them. This takes a lot of time. We are in a sun solaris environment. What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
1 Replies

8. AIX

Livedump filesystem almost full

Guy's I'm getting this message Livedump filesystem almost full in errpt logs and its meanning this file system /var/adm/ras/livedump /var has more than 1.5 GB free space .. why I'm getting that message and .. Pls advice to to avoide it ---------- Post updated 03-21-11 at 01:39 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to resolve Filesystem Full?

I have experienced Filesystem full (%iused = 100%) as below. I have tried to remove a lot of garbage but it still become full soon. # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem       iused    ifree  %iused  Mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0  512000     0   100%  / /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3   1887   382113   0%  /cms Other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwordCar
4 Replies
cmdk(7D)                                                              Devices                                                             cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)