Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping the spaces in a string variable Post 302179107 by rag84dec on Thursday 27th of March 2008 03:02:25 AM
Old 03-27-2008
Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi ,
i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value
Code:
    ABC                           DEF

i want this to appear like this
Code:
ABC DEF

is there any spilt method?
please help....

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has spaces around the string, need to remove them

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Linux world and I got a couple of shell script questions: (1) How do combine two variables and make it equal to a third variable? For example, I got a variable $A=FirstName, $B=LastName, and I want to combine the variable into one variable so when you echo the final... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey20
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping leading spaces on right justified name

I have a name field in a file which is right justified (yep - its true). I need to strip the leading spaces from the field and write the name out left justified. Again, I think I need to use a sed or awk command but so far, my results are at best disappointing. Thank you in advance from a UNIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcia P
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help!! Reading a string of text with concurrent spaces into a shell variable

Please Help!! Here is a very simplistic example of what I am trying to accomplish. I need what I have inbetween the quotes to be read into the shell variable. x="This is fun" echo $x The results of x from the above expression is: This is fun Notice the unix takes out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjs3221
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping a variable down

I have a variable that has an absolute path for a file on my computer. This dynamically changes. Is there a way I can assign two new variables from that one? variable: /Users/keith/Desktop/test/file.mov 1) filename - no path or extention ....so just....file 2) path no filename or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

append blank spaces at the end of a variable string

Hello, could you please help with this one. I have an input file like this: 123,4567,89000 123456789,9876543,12 and for the output I need strings to be with the fixed length, let's say 15, and if the string is -lt 15 to be populated with blanks at the end until it reach 15, like this: 123 ,4567... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apenkov
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies
Gtk2::PageSetup(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Gtk2::PageSetup(3)

NAME
Gtk2::PageSetup HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::PageSetup METHODS
pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 pagesetup = Gtk2::PageSetup->new_from_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_bottom_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_bottom_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_left_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_left_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->load_file ($file_name) o $file_name (string) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 $setup->load_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.14 pageorientation = $setup->get_orientation $setup->set_orientation ($orientation) o $orientation (Gtk2::PageOrientation) double = $setup->get_page_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_page_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_paper_height ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_paper_size_and_default_margins ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) papersize = $setup->get_paper_size $setup->set_paper_size ($size) o $size (Gtk2::PaperSize) double = $setup->get_paper_width ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) double = $setup->get_right_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_right_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->to_file ($file_name) o $file_name (localized file name) May croak with a Glib::Error in $@ on failure. Since: gtk+ 2.12 $setup->to_key_file ($key_file, $group_name) o $key_file (Glib::KeyFile) o $group_name (string or undef) Since: gtk+ 2.12 double = $setup->get_top_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $setup->set_top_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::PageOrientation o 'portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT' o 'landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE' o 'reverse-portrait' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_PORTRAIT' o 'reverse-landscape' / 'GTK_PAGE_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_LANDSCAPE' enum Gtk2::Unit o 'pixel' / 'GTK_UNIT_PIXEL' o 'points' / 'GTK_UNIT_POINTS' o 'inch' / 'GTK_UNIT_INCH' o 'mm' / 'GTK_UNIT_MM' SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2008 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Gtk2::PageSetup(3)