Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Differance between Bourne, Korn and C Shells Post 302179094 by Prathinidhi on Thursday 27th of March 2008 02:42:20 AM
Old 03-27-2008
Differance between Bourne, Korn and C Shells

What is the differance between "C-Shell", "Korn-Shell" and "Bourne-Shell"? Please explain me!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and replace a value- Bourne and Korn shell

Hello, I have a file called Delete and within the delete file I have the following statement: delete from employee where employee_id = " " how do I write a script that read from this file and replace: employee_id = " " with employee_id is null Please assist...greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shells

I have came across the definitions of these shells korn bourne c etc .. but honestly till now i din't get the exact difference between these threes , the advantages ..... can anyone pinpoint me where it actually lies ..... don;t include me answers like aliasing in c is posible and not in bourne ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dino_leix
3 Replies

3. Solaris

please ...what the differance between HP UX and SUN

HIIIIIIIIIIIII i have quistion now i have completed the course SUN(9) , now i dont know if i can work with HP-UX or not as well as UNIX OS , i mean i can admin the machine work with HP-UX or not what the difference in command i tere but its huge differents... also after SUN(9) i can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omer_ome
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell or korn shell?

Hi, I have a script that uses "nohup" command to execute a korn shell script. Which one is the correct shell to use bourne shell or korn shell to execute a korn shell? and why? Thanks in advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why we have different shells?

Can you pls. tell me, why we have different shells in UNIX OS ( Eg. SunOs) and also I would like to know what is the specific difference b/w SVR and BSD ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between shells

ple tell me What is the diff between ksh,sh,bash and csh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boby120677
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shells

Lets say my default shell is bash and then i load up csh and then ksh. How would i exit csh without exiting ksh? so basically i gone from bash > csh > ksh and i wish to close csh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please what are shells?

I mean like this: http://shells.red-pill.eu/ Can anyone explain how this works? I hope my post is not spam. I think its related to linux. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies
libmlib_mt(3LIB)						Interface Libraries						  libmlib_mt(3LIB)

NAME
libmlib_mt - multi-threaded mediaLib SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmlib_mt -lmlib [ library... ] #include <mlib.h> DESCRIPTION
Interfaces in this library provide functions for multimedia processing. Multi-threaded (MT) mediaLib is a software layer developed on top of mediaLib using OpenMP. When it is used with a large data set on a multi-processor system, MT mediaLib will partition data into subsets and process the subsets in parallel, thus greatly improving performance of applications that use mediaLib. INTERFACES
The shared object libmlib_mt.so.2 provides the same public interfaces as those defined in libmlib(3LIB). See Intro(3) for additional infor- mation on shared object interfaces. USAGE
There are two ways to use MT mediaLib. 1. Pre-load a multi-threaded mediaLib library during runtime by setting the LD_PRELOAD environment variable as follows before starting your application, in Bourne/Korn shell: LD_PRELOAD=libmlib_mt.so export LD_PRELOAD or in C shell: setenv LD_PRELOAD libmlib_mt.so In this way, you can take advantage of MT mediaLib without rebuilding your application. 2. Link your application with a multi-threaded mediaLib library directly as shown under SYNOPSIS. In this way, an MT mediaLib library is always used whenever your application is started. The parallelization of MT mediaLib is controlled, in part, by the PARALLEL environment variable. You can change its setting to adjust the degree of parallelization before starting your application, in Bourne/Korn shell: PARALLEL=n export PARALLEL or in C shell: setenv PARALLEL n where n is a positive integer for number of threads. Note that other factors also affect the degree of parallelization in MT mediaLib. FILES
/usr/lib/libmlib_mt.so.2 shared object /usr/lib/64/libmlib_mt.so.2 64-bit shared object ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmlibt | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(3), libmlib(3LIB), attributes(5) mediaLib User's Manual SunOS 5.11 15 Oct 2007 libmlib_mt(3LIB)