Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu graphical remote connection to linux Post 302178124 by ramen_noodle on Monday 24th of March 2008 05:30:42 PM
Old 03-24-2008

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need remote connection help

I am very new to all of this. I tcsh into a Unix box at work. I receive "hints" from a guy here at work that is helping me without doing everything for me. I need to use rx display to x connect to a remote host. I then need to tell the machine (unsure if he meant mine or the box I connected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

graphical interface via remote login

I use telent or netterm to remotely login onto a linux sever, but I could only use the command-line interface. I want to know how can I use the graphical interface such as KDE or GNOME. Thanks a lot.:p (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guanglei_li
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote connection

Hi: Can i access my Linux Box from a remote machine, Login and Run a program(eg: netscape) in a particular display number. Assuming i do not have XServer running in my machine Appreciate the help Thanks, Preetham. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetham
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote Connection (SSH)

Hello all, I connect usually to one enviornment "dev" daily and then ftp some files to some other enviorment "uat" and then login to "uat" and run some scripts to process these files. I was thinking to automate the process, where running one script from "dev" will complete all task required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote connection to HP-UX from Linux, GUI issues.

Not sure if that's the best thread title... anyway, working remotely on a HP-UX machine I often need a GUI window when executing remote software installs, and for this I use Cygwin/X on my Windows laptop which works perfectly. Connect via telnet, set DISPLAY, run installer, GUI appears locally -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stefcha
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Graphical representation of Virual Memory (on Linux)

Hi Folks Can anyone help me get a shell / any other script which will give me graphical representation of Virtual Memory statistics against the time. If someone has any script which will just provide the same without any graphical representation of Virtual Memory statistics - that also will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
5 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

invoke remote graphical application..and display locally

Hi, I want to invoke(run) a graphical application remotely, and the display should be in remote itself. (no X redirect).i want to do this through ssh. like if i login to a remote machine and run firefox it should display there itself. how can i do this..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusudankh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Porting graphical Solaris application to Linux

I don't expect any quick answers, but if people have links to resources I can investigate I'd be extremely appreciative. Here is what we have today: The "application" is a multi-process train control system that uses the Unix desktop, currently CDE, several motif-based applications and sound,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paz9
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote connection

How can we connect to remote computers with a bash script.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diw10
1 Replies
GIT-REMOTE(1)							    Git Manual							     GIT-REMOTE(1)

NAME
git-remote - manage set of tracked repositories SYNOPSIS
git remote [-v | --verbose] git remote add [-t <branch>] [-m <master>] [-f] [--mirror] <name> <url> git remote rename <old> <new> git remote rm <name> git remote set-head <name> (-a | -d | <branch>) git remote set-url [--push] <name> <newurl> [<oldurl>] git remote set-url --add [--push] <name> <newurl> git remote set-url --delete [--push] <name> <url> git remote [-v | --verbose] show [-n] <name> git remote prune [-n | --dry-run] <name> git remote [-v | --verbose] update [-p | --prune] [group | remote]... DESCRIPTION
Manage the set of repositories ("remotes") whose branches you track. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Be a little more verbose and show remote url after name. NOTE: This must be placed between remote and subcommand. COMMANDS
With no arguments, shows a list of existing remotes. Several subcommands are available to perform operations on the remotes. add Adds a remote named <name> for the repository at <url>. The command git fetch <name> can then be used to create and update remote-tracking branches <name>/<branch>. With -f option, git fetch <name> is run immediately after the remote information is set up. With -t <branch> option, instead of the default glob refspec for the remote to track all branches under $GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/, a refspec to track only <branch> is created. You can give more than one -t <branch> to track multiple branches without grabbing all branches. With -m <master> option, $GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/HEAD is set up to point at remote's <master> branch. See also the set-head command. In mirror mode, enabled with --mirror, the refs will not be stored in the refs/remotes/ namespace, but in refs/heads/. This option only makes sense in bare repositories. If a remote uses mirror mode, furthermore, git push will always behave as if --mirror was passed. rename Rename the remote named <old> to <new>. All remote tracking branches and configuration settings for the remote are updated. In case <old> and <new> are the same, and <old> is a file under $GIT_DIR/remotes or $GIT_DIR/branches, the remote is converted to the configuration file format. rm Remove the remote named <name>. All remote tracking branches and configuration settings for the remote are removed. set-head Sets or deletes the default branch ($GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/HEAD) for the named remote. Having a default branch for a remote is not required, but allows the name of the remote to be specified in lieu of a specific branch. For example, if the default branch for origin is set to master, then origin may be specified wherever you would normally specify origin/master. With -d, $GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/HEAD is deleted. With -a, the remote is queried to determine its HEAD, then $GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/HEAD is set to the same branch. e.g., if the remote HEAD is pointed at next, "git remote set-head origin -a" will set $GIT_DIR/refs/remotes/origin/HEAD to refs/remotes/origin/next. This will only work if refs/remotes/origin/next already exists; if not it must be fetched first. Use <branch> to set $GIT_DIR/remotes/<name>/HEAD explicitly. e.g., "git remote set-head origin master" will set $GIT_DIR/refs/remotes/origin/HEAD to refs/remotes/origin/master. This will only work if refs/remotes/origin/master already exists; if not it must be fetched first. set-url Changes URL remote points to. Sets first URL remote points to matching regex <oldurl> (first URL if no <oldurl> is given) to <newurl>. If <oldurl> doesn't match any URL, error occurs and nothing is changed. With --push, push URLs are manipulated instead of fetch URLs. With --add, instead of changing some URL, new URL is added. With --delete, instead of changing some URL, all URLs matching regex <url> are deleted. Trying to delete all non-push URLs is an error. show Gives some information about the remote <name>. With -n option, the remote heads are not queried first with git ls-remote <name>; cached information is used instead. prune Deletes all stale tracking branches under <name>. These stale branches have already been removed from the remote repository referenced by <name>, but are still locally available in "remotes/<name>". With --dry-run option, report what branches will be pruned, but do not actually prune them. update Fetch updates for a named set of remotes in the repository as defined by remotes.<group>. If a named group is not specified on the command line, the configuration parameter remotes.default will be used; if remotes.default is not defined, all remotes which do not have the configuration parameter remote.<name>.skipDefaultUpdate set to true will be updated. (See git-config(1)). With --prune option, prune all the remotes that are updated. DISCUSSION
The remote configuration is achieved using the remote.origin.url and remote.origin.fetch configuration variables. (See git-config(1)). EXAMPLES
o Add a new remote, fetch, and check out a branch from it .ft C $ git remote origin $ git branch -r origin/master $ git remote add linux-nfs git://linux-nfs.org/pub/linux/nfs-2.6.git $ git remote linux-nfs origin $ git fetch * refs/remotes/linux-nfs/master: storing branch 'master' ... commit: bf81b46 $ git branch -r origin/master linux-nfs/master $ git checkout -b nfs linux-nfs/master ... .ft o Imitate git clone but track only selected branches .ft C $ mkdir project.git $ cd project.git $ git init $ git remote add -f -t master -m master origin git://example.com/git.git/ $ git merge origin .ft SEE ALSO
git-fetch(1) git-branch(1) git-config(1) AUTHOR
Written by Junio Hamano DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by J. Bruce Fields and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-REMOTE(1)