Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return value of piped command? Post 302177755 by era on Sunday 23rd of March 2008 06:41:08 AM
Old 03-23-2008
But you can't do that in a pipeline.

Another makeshift solution would be to invoke a subshell and have it somehow smuggle out the exit status to a dedicated file descriptor. I don't think we want to go there, though.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl... how to tell if a piped command is still running?

I'm using the fabulous perl. I need a way to tell when a piped call to "open" has completed. Can I do this with a command like <ShellPipe> ?? Reason behind this: I'm trying to write a backup script in perl! This script will download a certain file from my web server, to my computer. Now,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytheo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute piped command using exec or system

Hi All, I want to execute a piped command like 'ls /opt | grep xml' using array as parameters list. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharadiaam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to find exit status of piped command

Lois_Answer_Code=`sipsak -vv -s sip:192.168.1.3|grep -A 1 "reply received after"|grep SIP|awk '{print $2}'`How to find the exit status of | (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confused over results using "tee" in piped command

First post here, so hopefully all guidelines are followed, and thanks in advance for any replies. I'm working on a shell script(BASH) that processes a csv file and performs various tasks with the data. All is well, except I want to use 'tee' to send output from 'wc' to a file as well as pipe it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzmusic
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't Output Piped Perl In-line command to a File

Hello, I'm pretty stumped, and I don't know why I am not able to redirect the output to the 'graphme' file with the command below in Fedora 18. tcpdump -l -n -t "tcp == 18" | perl -ane '($s,$j)=split(/,/,$F,2); print "$s\n";' > graphme In case you're wondering, I was following the example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the modified timestamp of files from the piped output of du command

Version Info +++++++++++++++ RHEL 5.4 Since ls command lists file sizes in Bytes which can be long I use du command like below. I have run the du command for the below files as shown below. But I want pipe this output to ls command just to see the modified timestamp for these files. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing an argument using alias to piped command

Hi. I'm trying to do a "simple" thing. grep -rls grepped_exp path | xgs where xgs is an alias to something like: xargs gvim -o -c ":g/grepped_exp" now the problem is that I want to pass the "grepped_exp" to the piped alias. I was able to do something like what I want without the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hagaysp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)