Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Total file size of a subset list Post 302177535 by tekster757 on Friday 21st of March 2008 11:19:21 AM
Old 03-21-2008
Total file size of a subset list

Thank you! Yes, that worked very well. But now I'm curious about a couple of things (i.e., please explain a little of how it works):

Instead of bothering you with even more questions than, I looked awk in google and found gnu.org and searched on +=. It gave me this:

ls -l files | awk '{ x += $5 }
END { print "total K-bytes: " (x + 1023)/1024 }'

1. Should I be using the (x + 1023)/1024 stated above (I'm wondering why they have that)?
2. I have GB of files, is there a different number I can use to get GB or do I just add 2 zero's?
3. Why %4.2f\n (what does that mean)?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

total size taken by directory

HI ALL, i am a beginner in unix world. can anyone please tell me the way to find total size taken by each directory (including size of all subdirectories and files) present under /var. e.g what is space occupied by /var/adm , /var/admin etc. its a simple question but still i dont know the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoti
2 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the total file size for certain files per directory

Hi, I am trying to get the total file size for certain files per directory. I am using find /DirectoryPath -name '*.dta' -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ print $NF ": " $5 }' > /users/cergun/My\ Documents/dtafiles.txt but this lists all the files in the directories. I need the total... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cergun
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

total size

I have a directory that contains files like aaa-2010-05-30.txt ddd-2010-05-30.txt www-2010-05-30.txt i have total 2000 files, i need to calculate total size of files for *2010-05-30.txt like aaa-2010-05-30.txt 200MB ddd-2010-05-30.txt 10GB www-2010-05-30.txt 4GB Total 14.2 GB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am trying to get the total size of a folder?

I am trying to get the total size of the folder using the below command but its not working. any ideas? du -bc <foldername>/|grep total|tr -s " "|cut -d" " -f1 the output i am getting is 78996 total but i just want it to be as 78996 please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: classic
3 Replies

6. Linux

Increasing total data size per file system request for block drivers

Hi All, I am writing a block driver for a 2GB SD card where i get the total amount of data per request as follows: struct request *req; uint card_addr,total_bytes; struct request_queue *rq = BlkDev->queue; req = elv_next_request(rq); .. .. card_addr = req->sector*512;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a particular directory in multiple file systems and calculate total size

Hello : I need some help in writing a ksh script which will find a particular directory in all the file systems in a server and finally report the total size of the direcotry in all the file systems. Some thing like this.. find /u*/app/oracle -type d -name "product" -prune and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sam1974
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Need command to know the total size

:mad:i need command to know the total size of project in my system by Giga bit i try #du -s /*/projectname but i need total size for this project by G.B can you help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayman
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total count in each category for given file list

I have list of file names in filename.txt below is file format >>File1 _________________________ 01~12345~Y~YES~aaaaa~can 02~23456~N~NO~bbbbb~can . . . 99~23__________________________ Need to find total count from each file depending on specific string and add them to have total count... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshdrkr
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies
tarsets(1)						      General Commands Manual							tarsets(1)

NAME
tarsets - subset kitting command file generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/tarsets [-d] pathname OPTIONS
Enable debugging. Debug trace diagnostics are written to ts.dbg in the current directory. DESCRIPTION
The tarsets command is used by the kits utility to produce software kits for use with the setld(8) utility. The tarsets command reads sub- set inventory records from standard input and writes a command procedure to standard output. This command procedure contains the commands required to create subset images for the subset described in the input. The pathname argument specifies the root directory for the file hierarchy containing the files to be kitted in the subset. All error diagnostics are written to a file named stderr in the current directory. RESTRICTIONS
The output command procedure produces multiple tar files. Each tar file has a goal size of 400 Kb. The command procedure is modified automatically to produce a single subset image when the tarsets utility is called from the kits utility. RETURN VALUES
The tarsets utility has successfully completed. A hard link referenced in the inventory cannot be found in the input hierarchy. ERRORS
The input record on line n is not in subset inventory format. The input record for path1 contains a pointer to path2 in the referent field and path2 does not appear in the inventory. This error indicates that path2 was deleted from the inventory after being created by the inv- cutter command. These are obsolete messages and can be ignored. This is an informational message. The number j is the number of charac- ters in the command written to the output to produce volume k. FILES
Diagnostic output Debug diagnostic output SEE ALSO
invcutter(1), kits(1), setld(8) stl_inv(4) Programming Support Tools tarsets(1)