Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About Vim
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users About Vim Post 302177398 by sabari on Friday 21st of March 2008 02:17:54 AM
Old 03-21-2008
Hi Nagalenoj,

Maximum line length On machines with 16-bit ints (Amiga and MS-DOS real
mode): 32767, otherwise 2147483647 characters.
Longer lines are split.
Maximum number of lines 2147483647 lines.
Maximum file size 2147483647 bytes (2 Gbyte) when a long integer is
32 bits. Much more for 64 bit longs. Also limited
by available disk space for the |swap-file|.
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagalenoj
Hello,
what is the maximum size of a file that we can open using vim.
--
Best Regards,
S.Sabarinathan,
Associate Systems Engineer,
Bk systems Pvt Ltd,
Chennai -18,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Vim 7.0

I want to install VIM 7.0 from sunfreeware.com onto a server. The security guys are giving me a hard time because they found this security vulnerability. http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/6259 This vulnerability came out in 2001, and it looks like it was mostly for linux, but I cant be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to configure VIM ?

hi today i was working on AIX server and faced many problem while working with VIM. some issues were like configuring VIM where can i configure vim such as ruler was not displayed by default no hlsearch as well as when you try to execute prveious RE with up arrow its not working how to configure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim color

How can I change the color in Vim for *sh scripts for words which in brackets "words". In another words for string variables. As I know id depends on /usr/share/vim/vim71/syntax/sh.vim. But I can not find where exactly. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some help with vim

I use vim for writing code. I was using nano but found that vim is a much advanced editor. I am trying to achieve something like this: When trying a loop or a function, I generally type: function name() {} Now when I take my cursor one position to the left and press the return key, it give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help with Vim

How do I use compilers and syntax highlighting in (g)Vim? Specifically, I need a Common Lisp compiler and a C++ compiler. Thanks in advance! (Note: Disregard my other topic.) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: led3234
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim - Question

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place for my question. For scripting I use very often Vim because it's almost available on all unix stations. Sometimes it would be very helpful to exchange text inside Vim with other programs and the other way round! For example I want to copy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: climber
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vim

Does anyone know the fast way to go to tab/2 distance in vim. I mean set four spaces. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

9. Linux

VI/VIM ERROR ^Z

Dear Unix user, I'm using putty 0.60 (on Windows Vista) to connect by ssh protocol to other Linux computer. I have a problem with VI/VIM. When I key button "n" or "b", it returns me n^Z or b^Z. What could the problem be?! Thanx a lot, Maria Elena (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesana
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vim :f

Can someone please tell me what this does? :f word I thought that was the way to save files with a different name but after a quick google search I saw it was like this. :w filename (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
LIMITS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 LIMITS(3)

NAME
limits -- standard limits SYNOPSIS
#include <limits.h> DESCRIPTION
The <limits.h> header defines various compile-time and runtime limits. These can be grouped into three categories: 1. Compile-time limits defined in a header file. 2. Runtime system limits that are not associated with a file or directory; see sysconf(3). 3. Runtime limits that are associated with a file or directory; see pathconf(2). The <limits.h> header has been standardized by at least three entities. ISO Limits The limits defined by the ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99'') standard are all compile-time limits. The numerical (integer) limits are: Constant Type Minimum value CHAR_BIT char 8 SCHAR_MAX signed char 127 SCHAR_MIN signed char -127 UCHAR_MAX unsigned char 255 INT_MAX int 32767 INT_MIN int -32767 UINT_MAX unsigned int 65535 SHRT_MIN short -32767 SHRT_MAX short 32767 USHRT_MAX unsigned short 65535 LONG_MAX long int 2147483647 LONG_MIN long int -2147483647 ULONG_MAX unsigned long int 4294967295 LLONG_MAX long long int 9223372036854775807 LLONG_MIN long long int -9223372036854775807 ULLONG_MAX unsigned long long int 18446744073709551615 MB_LEN_MAX - 1 All listed limits may vary across machines and operating systems. The standard guarantees only that the implementation-defined values are equal or greater in absolute value to those shown. The values permit a system with 16-bit integers using one's complement arithmetic. Depending whether the system defines char as signed or unsigned, the maximum and minimum values are: Constant Type Minimum value CHAR_MAX char either SCHAR_MAX or UCHAR_MAX CHAR_MIN char either SCHAR_MIN or 0 The two special cases, CHAR_BIT and MB_LEN_MAX, define the number of bits in char and the maximum number of bytes in a multibyte character constant, respectively. POSIX Limits The POSIX.1 standard specifies numerous limits related to the operating system. For each limit, a separate constant prefixed with ``_POSIX_'' defines the lowest value that the limit is allowed to have on any POSIX compliant system. For instance, _POSIX_OPEN_MAX defines the minimum upper bound permitted by POSIX for the number of files that a single process may have open at any time. This ensures that a por- table program can safely reach these limits without prior knowledge about the actual limits used in a particular system. As the limits are not necessary invariant, pathconf(2) and sysconf(3) should be used to determine the actual value of a limit at runtime. The manual pages of these two functions also contain a more detailed description of the limits available in NetBSD. XSI Limits Also the X/Open System Interface Extension (XSI) specifies few limits. In NetBSD these are limited to LONG_BIT (the number of bits in long), WORD_BIT (the number of bits in a ``word''), and few limits related to float and double. SEE ALSO
getconf(1), pathconf(2), sysconf(3), types(3), unistd(3) Richard W. Stevens and Stephen A. Rago, Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Addison-Wesley, Second Edition, 2005. BSD
August 9, 2011 BSD