Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Append a Value to each line of the file Post 302177315 by Franklin52 on Thursday 20th of March 2008 04:43:03 PM
Old 03-20-2008
Try this if awk is allowed, it creats the files "newfile.1", "newfile.2", "newfile.3" and so on.

Code:
awk '
!infile{infile=FILENAME;nr=1}
infile!=FILENAME{infile=FILENAME;close("newfile."nr);nr++}
{print $0","nr >> "newfile."nr}
' file1 file2 file3

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file need to append to each line

I have a few large files that need to have a ,A appended to the end of each record. I though about using sed but never used it before and the man is not intuitive nor have I found examples. This is what I tried for file name bob sed '\a,A' bob from what I get if you do not supply a range... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append line of of data to file

hai..i am new to unix..and i've currently learn shell script.. i have this small problem where i would like to save every data from log file into user directory if the data is equal to the name of the user.. i manage to do that with below script.. i would like to ask if there is any solutions so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meggae
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append each line to next previous line in a file

Hi all, Please help me in providing sample code to append the following 4 lines in one row. Input : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 RXOCF-430 HY1711 1 EXTERNAL ALARM DOOR ALARM Output should be : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a line into a file in the top

hi, My code is #!/bin/sh echo "\n\nPlease enter the month of the year(YYYYMM) : \c" read date_rep INPUT_L9_FILE=L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_$date_rep.csv #This part is used to summarise Grand_Total, Balance_Total of file L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_${1}.csv. awk -F"," '{if(NR!=1)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to exisiting file on same line.

File Format ABC|ABC|ABC| need to add another text after last | which would a unix command output. ---------- Post updated at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:45 PM ---------- wc -l file| awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/$//' >> existingfile It still adds to new line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append text to the second line of a file

Say I have a text file like: 1 3 4 How would I use ksh to put the number '2' into the second line of that file? I'm using OpenBSD so the sed syntax might be a bit different (I have no idea how to use sed, though) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to first line of a file

Hi, Please suggest me to write unix command, HEADER20110101 string append to first line of a file.. Regards Akshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshu.agni
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional append one line in file.

Hi, Unix gurus, I have a requirement as following: checking existing file, if the file only contain one line. then append "No data" else keep existing file as is. can i achieve this by in command line without write a script. :wall: Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file name to the beginning of each line

I want to append file names at the beginning of a line for each row file content abc.txt.gz 123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz 876|trf|kjh I want a single output file with below format abc.txt.gz|123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz|876|trf|kjh This one is working but only with unzip files,need to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh5300
3 Replies
File::MimeInfo::Cookbook(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     File::MimeInfo::Cookbook(3pm)

NAME
File::MimeInfo::Cookbook - various code snippets DESCRIPTION
Some code snippets for non-basic uses of the File::MimeInfo module: Matching an extension A file does not have to actually exist in order to get a mimetype for it. This means that the following will work: my $extension = '*.txt'; my $mimetype = mimetype( $extension ); Mimetyping an scalar If you want to find the mimetype of a scalar value you need magic mimetyping; after all a scalar doesn't have a filename or inode. What you need to do is to use IO::Scalar : use File::MimeInfo::Magic; use IO::Scalar; my $io_scalar = new IO::Scalar $data; my $mimetype = mimetype( $io_scalar ); In fact most other "IO::" will work as long as they support the "seek()" and "read()" methods. Of course if you want really obscure things to happen you can always write your own IO object and feed it in there. Be aware that when using a filehandle like this you need to set the ":utf8" binmode yourself if apropriate. Mimetyping a filehandle Regrettably for non-seekable filehandles like STDIN simply using an "IO::" object will not work. You will need to buffer enough of the data for a proper mimetyping. For example you could mimetype data from STDIN like this: use File::MimeInfo::Magic; use IO::Scalar; my $data; read(STDIN, $data, $File::MimeInfo::Magic::max_buffer); my $io_scalar = new IO::Scalar $data; my $mimetype = mimetype( $io_scalar ); Be aware that when using a filehandle like this you need to set the ":utf8" binmode yourself if apropriate. Creating a new filename Say you have a temporary file that you want to save with a more proper filename. use File::MimeInfo::Magic qw#mimetype extensions#; use File::Copy; my $tmpfile = '/tmp/foo'; my $mimetype = mimetype($tmpfile); my $extension = extensions($mimetype); my $newfile = 'untitled1'; $newfile .= '.'.$extension if length $extension; move($tmpfile, $newfile); Force the use of a certain database directory Normally you just need to add the dir where your mime database lives to either the XDG_DATA_HOME or XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables for it to be found. But in some rare cases you may want to by-pass this system all together. Try one of the following: @File::MimeInfo::DIRS = ('/home/me/share/mime'); eval 'use File::MimeInfo'; die if $@; or: use File::MimeInfo; @File::MimeInfo::DIRS = ('/home/me/share/mime'); File::MimeInfo->rehash(); This can also be used for switching between databases at run time while leaving other XDG configuration stuff alone. AUTHOR
Jaap Karssenberg <pardus@cpan.org> Copyright (c) 2005, 2012 Jaap G Karssenberg. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::MimeInfo perl v5.14.2 2012-01-05 File::MimeInfo::Cookbook(3pm)