Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat /dev/null
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cat /dev/null Post 302177154 by freakydancer on Thursday 20th of March 2008 07:52:05 AM
Old 03-20-2008
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss250041
Simply run

cp /dev/null /var/tmp/mond.log

All the content of the log file will be removed
fantastic - thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>/dev/null

Maybe it's an stupid question but remeber... I'm Junior.. I use command line to run programs, and some of them gives a lot of information when, for example, you open a window or other actions. That's really bad because my terminal gets full of unwanted messages, so I use "bin file & >/dev/null"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null

Hi , I am importing some table from /dev/null i dont understand what is /dev/null Sorry i am new to UNIX sam71 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

> /dev/null

hello all, In many shell scripts i found '> /dev/null' , i am not able to get this, will any one please explain why we are using this. thanks sudha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
2 Replies

5. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null

Hi expert, May I know what is the difference between below cron tab entry ? 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olaris
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies
nislog(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                nislog(1M)

NAME
nislog - display the contents of the NIS+ transaction log SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nislog [-h num | -t num] [-v] [directory...] DESCRIPTION
nislog displays the contents of the NIS+ server transaction log on the standard output. This command can be used to track changes in the namespace. The /var/nis/trans.log file contains the transaction log maintained by the NIS+ server. When updates occur, they are logged to this file and then propagated to replicas as log transactions. When the log is checkpointed, updates that have been propagated to the replicas are removed. The nislog command can only be run on an NIS+ server by superuser. It displays the log entries for that server only. If directory is not specified, the entire log is searched. Otherwise, only those logs entries that correspond to the specified directories are displayed. OPTIONS
-h num Display num transactions from the ``head'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -t num Display num transactions from the ``tail'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -v Verbose mode. FILES
/var/nis/trans.log transaction log ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), rpc.nisd(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nislog(1M)