Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove last character of a term Post 302176770 by John Mac on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 06:19:54 AM
Old 03-19-2008
Hi, Raynon -

Two easy ways, asusming you're using a file:

1. awk -F',' '{print $1}' infile > outfile
2. cut -d',' -f1 infile > outfile

I've quoted the comma delimiter in both cases to demonstrate that you should use quotes if the delimiting character could possibly be interpreted by the shell (such as $ or *).

Hope this helps,

John

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a ^M character

Hi, I'd like to ask for some help with the following: I've cut a couple of columns of file1 to create file2 with the following code: cur -f 1,3,8 file1 > file2 Then I need to transfer file 2 from UNIX to Windows and use it further. Unfortunatelly, for some reason the line is displayed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove \ character

Dear Members, I have a file which is a single line file. It has "\" character and i need to replace this character with a new line character. How can we do this? I tried with sed but it did not work. sed 's//"\n"/g' t1 > t2Thanks Sandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove first character if it is zero

Hi All, I have a input like this. 01 i want the output like this. 1 But if the input file is like 11 i should not do anything. Can anyone please help to get a command to do this. thanks, Giri. ---------- Post updated at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:04 AM ----------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove space before a character

Hi guys, I am new to shell scripting and I have a small problem...If someone can solve this..that would be great I am trying to form a XML by reading a flat file using shell scripting This is my shell script LINE_FILE1=`cat FLEX_FILE1.TXT | head -1 | tail -1` echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove first 2 character from file name

Hi All Please help me to remove the first 2 character from the file name. files are like this $ ls 12aman file 13atul si 56rana se I want to remove the first 2 char which are numbers. I want the o/p like thus aman file atul si rana se (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last character from filename

Hi All, I have different type of file (.txt,.csv,.xml) format in my current directory. My requirement is that I need to remove the last character from the file format. Example count.txt$ csp_rules.csv^ Date.xml~ Need Output: count.txt csp_rules.csv Date.xml How to do that?.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
makedbm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       makedbm(1M)

NAME
makedbm - make a dbm file, or get a text file from a dbm file SYNOPSIS
makedbm [-b] [-l] [-s] [-E] [-i yp_input_file] [-o yp_output_name] [-d yp_domain_name] [-m yp_master_name] [-S delimiter] [-D num- ber_of_delimiters] infile outfile makedbm [-u dbmfilename] DESCRIPTION
The makedbm utility takes the infile and converts it to a pair of files in ndbm format (see ndbm(3C)), namely outfile.pag and outfile.dir. Each line of the input file is converted to a single dbm record. All characters up to the first TAB or SPACE form the key, and the rest of the line is the data. If a line ends with `' (backslash), the data for that record is continued on to the next line. makedbm does not treat `#' (pound-sign) as a special character. Because makedbm is mainly used in generating dbm files for the NIS name service, it generates a special entry with the key yp_last_modi- fied, which is the date of infile (or the current time, if infile is `-'). The entries that have keys with the prefix yp_ are interpreted by NIS server utilities. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Insert the YP_INTERDOMAIN into the output. This key causes ypserv(1M) to use DNS for host name and address lookups for hosts not found in the maps. -d yp_domain_name Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name. -D number_of delimiters Specify number_of_delimiters to skip before forming the key. -E Delimiters are escaped. -i yp_input_file Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file. -l Lower case. Convert the keys of the given map to lower case, so that, for example, host name matches succeed inde- pendent of upper or lower case distinctions. -m yp_master_name Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name. If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name is set to the local host name. -o yp_output_name Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name. -s Secure map. Accept connections from secure NIS networks only. -S delimiter Specify the delimiter to use instead of the default delimiter for forming the key. -u dbmfilename Undo a dbm file. Prints out the file in text format, one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile Input file for makedbm. If infile is `-' (dash), the standard input is read. outfile One of two output files in ndbm format: outfile.pag and outfile.dir. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypserv(1M), ndbm(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Aug 1999 makedbm(1M)