Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove last character of a term Post 302176770 by John Mac on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 06:19:54 AM
Old 03-19-2008
Hi, Raynon -

Two easy ways, asusming you're using a file:

1. awk -F',' '{print $1}' infile > outfile
2. cut -d',' -f1 infile > outfile

I've quoted the comma delimiter in both cases to demonstrate that you should use quotes if the delimiting character could possibly be interpreted by the shell (such as $ or *).

Hope this helps,

John

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a ^M character

Hi, I'd like to ask for some help with the following: I've cut a couple of columns of file1 to create file2 with the following code: cur -f 1,3,8 file1 > file2 Then I need to transfer file 2 from UNIX to Windows and use it further. Unfortunatelly, for some reason the line is displayed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove \ character

Dear Members, I have a file which is a single line file. It has "\" character and i need to replace this character with a new line character. How can we do this? I tried with sed but it did not work. sed 's//"\n"/g' t1 > t2Thanks Sandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove first character if it is zero

Hi All, I have a input like this. 01 i want the output like this. 1 But if the input file is like 11 i should not do anything. Can anyone please help to get a command to do this. thanks, Giri. ---------- Post updated at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:04 AM ----------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove space before a character

Hi guys, I am new to shell scripting and I have a small problem...If someone can solve this..that would be great I am trying to form a XML by reading a flat file using shell scripting This is my shell script LINE_FILE1=`cat FLEX_FILE1.TXT | head -1 | tail -1` echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove first 2 character from file name

Hi All Please help me to remove the first 2 character from the file name. files are like this $ ls 12aman file 13atul si 56rana se I want to remove the first 2 char which are numbers. I want the o/p like thus aman file atul si rana se (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last character from filename

Hi All, I have different type of file (.txt,.csv,.xml) format in my current directory. My requirement is that I need to remove the last character from the file format. Example count.txt$ csp_rules.csv^ Date.xml~ Need Output: count.txt csp_rules.csv Date.xml How to do that?.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
shcomp(1)							   User Commands							 shcomp(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [-nv] [infile [outfile]] shcomp -D [infile [outfile]] DESCRIPTION
If the -D option is not specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 reads and executes with the same effect as the original script. Aliases are processed as the script is read. Alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -D Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. --dictionary With this option, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are printed, one literal per line. A literal $"foo" prints "foo" in the output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internation- alization. -n Display warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. --noexec -v Display input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --verbose OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile Specifies the name of the file that contains the shell script to be used as input. If infile is omitted, the shell script is read from standard input. outfile Specifies the name of the output file. If outfile is omitted, both modes write their results to standard output. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The command-line interface and the system variables are Committed. The compiled shell code format is Private. The output of the -D option is Volatile. SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Jan 2009 shcomp(1)