Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux SuSE 10 - Disable Unsuccessful Login History. Post 302176709 by yash_be on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 02:04:40 AM
Old 03-19-2008
try creating a file .hushlogin in the home of that user it will not show you last login messages

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse Linux 9.0 can't login

Hi, I need some help here. I have a Suse Linux here that I can't login to. I used to be able to, but now I can't. I was able to login initially, not too sure what keyboard button I pressed(Alt+Tab, maybe), then it kicks straight to the login screen. Subsequent login as root didn't manage to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suseli
0 Replies

2. SuSE

Can we disable/delay login ports in suse linux ?

Plz . tell me the command in suse linux to rert availibility of login ports, disable login ports, & delay available login ports. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrguha
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login

Dears, I want to lock the user's account after consecutive unsuccessful login attempts, how can I do this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlsun
1 Replies

4. SuSE

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE

Hi , Can anyone give ur answer for How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE Enterprise 10.2 Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik04
1 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to login with Domain users in the Suse linux

Hi Team, I have joined the Suse Linux Server in my domain. I am not able update the DNS but I am able to join the domain. net ads testjoin gives me Join ok. even net ads dns register -P results to DNS update failed. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g also not working. Samba Configuration: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

How to disable USB for storage devices in Suse?

Hello folks, for some confidential reason, I need to disable the USB to access the storage devices in Suse11.2, but I still need two USB for the mouse and keyboard. Anyone knows? Thanks a lot in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnsxhj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit shell script if remote login unsuccessful?

#!/bin/bash for servers in `cat ~/servers` do rosh -l root -n $servers 'if then echo $HOSTNAME else exit 1 fi' done I have few servers in the for loop that is powered off, so whenever I execute my script, it works fine if all the servers are on, but when it tries to execute the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rojan Shakya
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Help in display unsuccessful login in SUSE Linux

hi i want to enable details of previous successful/ unsuccessful login on screen after successful login in SUSE linux ---------- Post updated 01-17-15 at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous update was 01-16-15 at 11:37 PM ---------- hi guys please reply (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Idea
1 Replies
LOGIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  LOGIN(1)

NAME
login -- log into the computer SYNOPSIS
login [-pq] [-h hostname] [user] login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [user [prog [args...]]] DESCRIPTION
The login utility logs users (and pseudo-users) into the computer system. If no user is specified, or if a user is specified and authentication of the user fails, login prompts for a user name. Authentication of users is configurable via pam(8). Password authentication is the default. The following options are available: -f When a user name is specified, this option indicates that proper authentication has already been done and that no password need be requested. This option may only be used by the super-user or when an already logged in user is logging in as themselves. With the -f option, an alternate program (and any arguments) may be run instead of the user's default shell. The program and argu- ments follows the user name. -h Specify the host from which the connection was received. It is used by various daemons such as telnetd(8). This option may only be used by the super-user. -l Tells the program executed by login that this is not a login session (by convention, a login session is signalled to the program with a hyphen as the first character of argv[0]; this option disables that), and prevents it from chdir(2)ing to the user's home direc- tory. The default is to add the hyphen (this is a login session). -p By default, login discards any previous environment. The -p option disables this behavior. -q This forces quiet logins, as if a .hushlogin is present. If the file /etc/nologin exists, login dislays its contents to the user and exits. This is used by shutdown(8) to prevent users from logging in when the system is about to go down. Immediately after logging a user in, login displays the system copyright notice, the date and time the user last logged in, the message of the day as well as other information. If the file .hushlogin exists in the user's home directory, all of these messages are suppressed. -q is specified, all of these messages are suppressed. This is to simplify logins for non-human users, such as uucp(1). login then records an entry in utmpx(5) and the like, and executes the user's command interpreter (or the program specified on the command line if -f is speci- fied). The login utility enters information into the environment (see environ(7)) specifying the user's home directory (HOME), command interpreter (SHELL), search path (PATH), terminal type (TERM) and user name (both LOGNAME and USER). Some shells may provide a builtin login command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The login utility will submit an audit record when login succeeds or fails. Failure to determine the current auditing state will result in an error exit from login. FILES
/etc/motd message-of-the-day /etc/nologin disallows logins /var/run/utmpx current logins /var/mail/user system mailboxes .hushlogin makes login quieter /etc/pam.d/login pam(8) configuration file /etc/security/audit_user user flags for auditing /etc/security/audit_control global flags for auditing SEE ALSO
builtin(1), chpass(1), newgrp(1), passwd(1), rlogin(1), getpass(3), utmpx(5), environ(7) HISTORY
A login utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
September 13, 2006 BSD