Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users extract multiple sections of a file Post 302176662 by ShawnMilo on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 08:40:39 PM
Old 03-18-2008
It turns out that split magically solves your problem.

Code:
split -p '^ST' temp.txt

(Read "man split" for details.)

ShawnMilo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handle Configuration File with same name of Parameter in multiple Sections

Hi I have a config file with multiple section and a parameter with the same name in each section. I need to read each parameter for distinct section. Parameter = 1 .... Parameter = 2 .... Parameter = 4 .... Tried this: grep -m1 '^*ProcessorsNumber' ServiceBrokerFramework.cfg |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple sections of file

I have a file that I need to parse multiple sections from the file. The file contains multiple lines that start with ST (Abunch of data) Then the file contains multiple lines that start with SE (Abunch of data) SE*30*0001 ST*810*0002 I need all of the lines between and including these.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgentis
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract multiple repeated data from a text file

Hi, I need to extract data from a text file in which data has a pattern. I need to extract all repeated pattern and then save it to different files. example: input is: ST*867*000352214 BPT*00*1000352214*090311 SE*1*1 ST*867*000352215 BPT*00*1000352214*090311 SE*1*2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit file sections that cross multiple lines?

Hello, I'm wondering where I could go to learn how to edit file sections that cross multiple lines. I'm wanting to write scripts that will add Gnome menu entries for all users on a system for scripts I write, etc. I can search an replace simple examples with sed, but this seems more complex. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help please, extract multiple lines from a text file

Hi all, I need to extract lines between the lines 'RD' and 'QA' from a text file (following). there are more that one of such pattern in the file and I need to extract all of them. however, the number of lines between them is varied in the file. Therefore, I can not just use 'grep -A' command.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnshembb
6 Replies

6. Programming

extract different sections of a file

Hi All, I have a file with the data 10;20;30;40;50;60;70;80;123;145;156;345. the output i want is the first fourth sixth elements and everything from there on. How do i achieve this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one file -

input file Desired csv output gc_type, date/time, milli secs af, Mar 17 13:09:04 2011, 144.596 af, Mar 20 00:37:37 2011, 144.242 af, ar 20 21:30:59 2011, 108.518 Hi All, Any help in acheiving the above would be appreciated. I would like to parse through lines within one file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a pattern from multiple lines in a file

I have a file that has some lines starts with * I want to get these lines, then get the word between "diac" and "lex". ex. file: ;;WORD AlAx *0.942490 diac:Al>ax lex:>ax_1 bw:Al/DET+>ax/NOUN+ gloss:brother pos:noun prc3:0 prc2:0 prc1:0 prc0:Al_det per:na asp:na vox:na mod:na gen:m num:s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain sections of a line

I have a log that looks like below sc.mng_10_Err.20131020_000000.log:NCSSC_MNG_UP_PE_TO_BE : Failed to change dvc_trx_sts from PE to BE for srvtrx: 213323141427349 dvcsfx: 1 sc.mng_4_Err.20131020_000000.log:NCSSC_MNG_UP_PE_TO_BE : Failed to change dvc_trx_sts from PE to BE for srvtrx:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senormarquez
6 Replies
bup-meta(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-meta(1)

NAME
bup-meta - create or extract a metadata archive SYNOPSIS
bup meta --create [-R] [-v] [-q] [--no-symlinks] [--no-paths] [-f file] <paths...> bup meta --list [-v] [-q] [-f file] bup meta --extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --start-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --finish-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
bup meta either creates or extracts a metadata archive. A metadata archive contains the metadata information (timestamps, ownership, access permissions, etc.) for a set of filesystem paths. OPTIONS
-c, --create Create a metadata archive for the specified paths. Write the archive to standard output unless --file is specified. -t, --list Display information about the metadata in an archive. Read the archive from standard output unless --file is specified. -x, --extract Extract a metadata archive. Conceptually, perform --start-extract followed by --finish-extract. Read the archive from standard input unless --file is specified. --start-extract Build a filesystem tree matching the paths stored in a metadata archive. By itself, this command does not produce a full restora- tion of the metadata. For a full restoration, this command must be followed by a call to --finish-extract. Once this command has finished, all of the normal files described by the metadata will exist and be empty. Restoring the data in those files, and then calling --finish-extract should restore the original tree. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. --finish-extract Finish applying the metadata stored in an archive to the filesystem. Normally, this command should follow a call to --start- extract. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. -f, --file=filename Read the metadata archive from filename or write it to filename as appropriate. If filename is "-", then read from standard input or write to standard output. -R, --recurse Recursively descend into subdirectories during --create. --numeric-ids Apply numeric user and group IDs (rather than text IDs) during --extract or --finish-extract. --symlinks Record symbolic link targets when creating an archive, or restore symbolic links when extracting an archive (during --extract or --start-extract). This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-symlinks to disable it. --paths Record pathnames when creating an archive. This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-paths to disable it. -v, --verbose Be more verbose (can be used more than once). -q, --quiet Be quiet. EXAMPLES
# Create a metadata archive for /etc. $ bup meta -cRf etc.meta /etc bup: removing leading "/" from "/etc" # Extract the etc.meta archive (files will be empty). $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta -xf ../etc.meta $ ls etc # Restore /etc completely. $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta --start-extract -f ../etc.meta ...fill in all regular file contents using some other tool... $ bup meta --finish-extract -f ../etc.meta BUGS
Hard links are not handled yet. BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>. Bup unknown- bup-meta(1)