Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Help required with using system() call Post 302176357 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 07:11:57 AM
Old 03-18-2008
You are going to have to write your multi-line command into a file, chmod the file to set the execute bit, then call system("./filename.sh");

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

URGENT Help required regarding the use of FORK system call

I desperately wanted one of the UNIX Gurus to help me resolve my problem asap(I have to deliver the code to the client by Monday 08-oct). I have a file with around 5 million records (50 lakhs). Now my original process was taking around 30 hours to read the complete file, process each and every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkumar1975
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System hanged. help required.

HI, I have a Fedora running box. I am not able to ping/login. I guess it got hanged. Can any one help me how to login to that box with out restart? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
8 Replies

4. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

6. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftok system call

In the system call msgget(key,mode) for the argument key i want to use ftok call . I am really confused with the argument pathname in ftok call. I want to know the pathname of which file I want to specify over there. I am just a beginer to advanced unix plz help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
1 Replies

8. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

9. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies
sticky(5)                                               Standards, Environments, and Macros                                              sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)