Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash awk codes to perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash awk codes to perl Post 302175699 by ghostdog74 on Saturday 15th of March 2008 05:11:42 AM
Old 03-15-2008
how about trying it out

1) read the file line by line using while loop
2) split the line by ":" as delimiter
3) get the second element using array indices.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combine two awk codes

Hello How do I combine the following 2 codes in one, the purpose is to not generate the outfile1 awk '{print $9 "\t" $10 "\t" $11}' infile > outfile1 awk '{ gsub(/.fa/,""); print }' outfile1 > outfile2 Thanks Joseph (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - How do you break the long line of codes into 2?

I'm trying to make this long line of codes in Perl looks nice by dividing it into 2 lines... Before: `echo "blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah" > ~/lalala/lalala/lalala/lalala/lalala/abc`; After: `echo "blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah" > ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

'watch' not interpreting escape codes in bash script

Hi there, I'm fairly new to bash scripting and already having some troubles. I'm making a script that can print some series of strings in colors based in the information of a file, for simplicity let's say it only does: #!/bin/bash printf "\eWhen you execute this in the command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arashi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script Exit Codes

Here is my daily stupid question: How can I tell a script to only execute if the other scripts exits successfully? So "script A" executes and it executes successfully (0),then "script B" will run or else "script A "executes and it exits unsucessfully (1) then "script B" will read return... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync script to rewrite suffix - BASH, awk, sed, perl?

trying to write up a script to put the suffix back. heres what I have but can't get it to do anything :( would like it to be name.date.suffix rsync -zrlpoDtub --suffix=".`date +%Y%m%d%k%M%S`.~" --bwlimit=1024 /mymounts/test1/ /mymounts/test2/ while IFS=. read -r -u 9 -d '' name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmituzas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search strings and highlight them using Perl or bash/awk/sed

Hi, I have two files: a.doc and b.txt I wish to search the strings from file b.txt in a.doc and want to highlight them in a.doc with different colours using Perl or bash./awk/sed? Please guide me. :) Thanks!!!!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Propagation of error codes

Hello. I use bash functions which are in different script files. Theses scripts function files are sourced when necessary. As function does not easily return string value, Value are return using the echo function, and a return code is returned.. Now here my question : In the main script I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk color codes based on condition

HI i have two files say test and test1 Test.txt Code: Lun01 2TB 1.99TB 99.6% Lun02 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun03 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun04 2TB 1.55TB 89.6% Code: Test1.txt Lun01 2TB 1.99TB 89.5% Lun02 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun03 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Requirement is to compare... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
6 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)