Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh - read file with leading spaces Post 302175669 by momi on Friday 14th of March 2008 09:47:15 PM
Old 03-14-2008
ksh - read file with leading spaces

Hi,

Could someone has any suggestions on this? When read a line from a file, I need to check the first char in the line, it could be a space or any char. But the leading spaces are removed by read.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"read" command ignoring leading spaces

I have to read a file line by line, change it and then update the file. Problem is, when i read the file, "read" command ignores leading spaces. The file is a script which is indented in many places for clarity. How to i make "read" command read leading spaces as well. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remove leading spaces

Hi Experts, In a file tht i copied from the web , i am not able to remove the leading white spaces. I tried the below , none of them working . I opened the file through vi to check for the special characters if any , but no such characters found. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing leading spaces from one field in comma seperated file

Using awk or sed, I'd like to remove leading spaces after a comma and before a right justified number in field 6. Sounds simple but I can't find a solution. Each field's formatting must stay intact. Input: 40,123456-02,160,05/24/2012,02/13/1977, 10699.15,0 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
5 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove leading spaces

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I am trying to remove the leading the spaces in the below file $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 Expected output is shown below. $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies
libcaca-style(3caca)						      libcaca						      libcaca-style(3caca)

NAME
libcaca-style - Libcaca coding style General guidelines A pretty safe rule of thumb is: look at what has already been done and try to do the same. o Tabulations should be avoided and replaced with eight spaces. o Indentation is generally 4 spaces. o Lines should wrap at most at 79 characters. o Do not leave whitespace at the end of lines. o Do not use multiple spaces for anything else than indentation. o Code qui fait des warnings == code de porc == deux baffes dans ta gueule C coding style Try to use short names whenever possible (i for indices, w for width, cv for canvas...). Macros are always uppercase, variable and function names are always lowercase. Use the underscore to separate words within names: #define BROKEN 0 #define MAX(x, y) ((x > y) ? (x) : (y)) unsigned int x, y, w, h; char *font_name; void frobulate_every_three_seconds(void); const is a suffix. It's char const *foo, not const char *foo. Use spaces after commas and between operators. Do not use spaces after an opening parenthesis or before a closing one: a += 2; b = (a * (c + d)); x = min(x1, x2, x3); Do not put a space between functions and the corresponding opening parenthesis: int function(int); A space can be inserted after keywords such as for, while or if, but consistency with the rest of the page is encouraged: if(a == b) return; if (p == NULL) Do not put parentheses around return values: return a + (b & x) + d[10]; Opening braces should be on a line of their own, aligned with the current block. Braces are optional for one-liners: int function(int a) { if(a & 0x84) return a; if(a < 0) { return -a; } else { a /= 2; switch(a) { case 0: case 1: return -1; break; default: return a; } } } C++ coding style Nothing here yet. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca-style(3caca)