Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Modification history for Crontab Post 302175202 by amcq on Thursday 13th of March 2008 10:18:15 AM
Old 03-13-2008
Modification history for Crontab

Hi all -

I've searched the forums and seen a few questions related, but nothing which explicitly answers what I'm looking for.

I need to know if there's ANY way to get the modification history of any users crontab.

Yes, I know that crontabs are in /var/spool/cron. I know that the date/time of the users file is the last time they modified.

But, I don't know if there's any way to find out when previous modifications have been made. (any log of additions or deletions?).

Also been searching the /var/cron/log but that only seems to have the commands executed from the crontab, but not whether the crontab was replaced with a new version.

Someone mentioned to me that the user.au file might have some clues.. but, I can't tell what the format of that file is, so, it's not much help to me right now.

If there's no built-in method for tracking these changes vis Solaris.... then what options would you guys think are best for us to implement some type of backup of previous crontab versions (maybe keep 5-10 versions as backups, and just keep deleting the 11th old file as new versions are pushed into the cron).

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab entry modification using shell script

hi Friends, iam trying to write a script which will grep the particular entry in crontab of root and enable/disable it .iam a novice in scripting. your suggestions are most welcome..please help Cheers!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: munishdh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab history

Hi All, Is there any way to get the information for crontab running history, when it executed last time & what was the recent time it executed & all information. My crontab suddenly failed yesterday but it was working fine for last 2 mnths.What could be the reason? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vips
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to track the modification history on file in unix

How do we track the modification history on a file in UNIX. IS there any command or any script that we could run. Many Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSPDaemon
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File modification history

Can anyone please suggest an alternate command for "stat" . I am trying this on Solaris 5.9 , but the command doesn't exist. Basically i need to see one particalar file modification history. Any help is appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Command for checking modification history on file

What is the command for checking modification history on file? ---------- Post updated at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:35 PM ---------- Let me rephrase this. On a regular Unix file can I at least check to see the time and date history modification of the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
Crontab(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Crontab(3)

NAME
Set::Crontab - Expand crontab(5)-style integer lists SYNOPSIS
$s = Set::Crontab->new("1-9/3,>15,>30,!23", [0..30]); if ($s->contains(3)) { ... } DESCRIPTION
Set::Crontab parses crontab-style lists of integers and defines some utility functions to make it easier to deal with them. Syntax Numbers, ranges, *, and step values all work exactly as described in crontab(5). A few extensions to the standard syntax are described below. < and > <N selects the elements smaller than N from the entire range, and adds them to the set. >N does likewise for elements larger than N. ! !N excludes N from the set. It applies to the other specified range; otherwise it applies to the specified ranges (i.e. "!3" with a range of "1-10" corresponds to "1-2,4-10", but ">3,!7" in the same range means "4-6,8-10"). Functions new($spec, [@range]) Creates a new Set::Crontab object and returns a reference to it. contains($num) Returns true if $num exists in the set. list() Returns the expanded list corresponding to the set. The functions described above croak if they are called with incorrect arguments. SEE ALSO
crontab(5) AUTHOR
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> Copyright 2001 Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2008-07-30 Crontab(3)