Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dash after ampersant
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dash after ampersant Post 302174932 by csecnarf on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 03:47:06 PM
Old 03-12-2008
So... by closing stdout you are sending the output to nowhere. Is like that?

Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-dash options

I need to create a file that accepts arguments and options, and the options have to allow for single-dash options (-abc) and double-dash options (--help). What is the best way to do this? Getopt(s) is great for single-dash, but chokes on double-dash. Do I really need to save the arguments to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ignoring a dash in file name

so i have a simple file called -x and i need it renamed to x now i dont understand why when using the most basic methods, only the code mv ./-x x changes the file name while using any other type of escape characters around the dash, such as single/double quotations or backslash, doesnt. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LumpSum
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove dash

hi I am using ksh #A="abc-def" #typeset -u B="$A" #echo $B ABC-DEF how to remove the dash? i.e. ABCDEF? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting string before first dash in a file name

Hi all, Given a file name such as EXAMPLE=lastname-02.30.71-firstname-town-other.tar.gz How do I print everything before the first dash (i.e. lastname) Note: I do not know exactly how many dashes or what information there will be in each file name so it is important that the code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exclude dash (-) from word separators in vi

vi uses dash and space as word separators. is there any way to exclude dash from word separators ? This is required to work with the symbols generated by ctags exe. when symbol contain a "-" ,vi tags fails to locate that even though symbol is generated properly. For example Symbol -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabhi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude dash in grep

Hi, I must be overlooking something, but I don't understand why this doesn't work. I'm trying to grep on a date, excluding all the lines starting with a dash: testfile: #2013-12-31 2013-12-31code: grep '^2013-12-31' testfileI'm expecting to see just the second line '2013-12-31' but I don't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Installing Dash Shell on OS X Lion

For those interested in installing dash shell on OSX Lion to help test POSIX compliancy of shell scripts, it is quite easy. I did it like this: If you don't have gcc on your system: 0. Download and install the Command Line Tools for Xcode package from Sign In - Apple * 1. Download the dash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

'time' does NOT work on a function in 'dash'.

Hi guys and gals... I am writing a piece of code that is dash compliant and came across this error. I have put it in the OSX section as that is what I am using. I have no idea what the 'dash' version is but was installed about 6 months ago. MBP, OSX 10.12.6, default terminal running dash on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
CATCHOUT(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						    CATCHOUT(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_catchout - Catch output from child tasks. SYNOPSIS
C #include <stdio.h> int info = pvm_catchout( FILE *ff ) Fortran call pvmfcatchout( onoff, info ) PARAMETERS
ff File descriptor on which to write collected output. onoff Integer parameter. Turns output collection on or off. info Integer status code returned by the routine. Values less than zero indicate an error. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_catchout causes the calling task (the parent) to catch output from any tasks spawned after the call to pvm_catchout. Char- acters printed on stdout or stderr in children tasks are collected by the pvmds and sent in control messages to the parent task, which tags each line and appends it to the specified file. Output from grandchildren (spawned by children) tasks is also collected, provided the children don't reset their PvmOutputTid. If option PvmShowTids (see pvm_setopt) is true (nonzero), output is printed as shown below, tagged with the task id where the output origi- nated: [txxxxx] BEGIN [txxxxx] (text from child task) [txxxxx] END The output from each task includes one BEGIN line and one END line, with whatever the task prints in between. If PvmShowTids is false, raw output is printed with no additional information. In C, the output file descriptor may be specified. Giving a null pointer turns output collection off for any subsequently spawned child tasks. (Any existing output collection will still proceed at the child tasks, until they exit or change theirPvmOutputTid or related set- tings - see man page for pvm_setopt().) In Fortran, output collection can only be turned on or off (again only for subsequently spawned child tasks), and is always logged to the stdout of the parent task. If pvm_exit is called while output collection is in effect, it will block in order to print all the output, until all tasks sending the given task output have exited. To avoid this, output collection can be turned off by calling pvm_catchout(0) before calling pvm_exit. pvm_catchout() always returns 0. EXAMPLES
C: #include <stdio.h> pvm_catchout(stdout); Fortran: CALL PVMFCATCHOUT( 1, INFO ) SEE ALSO
pvm_exit(3PVM), pvm_setopt(3PVM), pvm_spawn(3PVM) 13 July, 1994 CATCHOUT(3PVM)