Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic unix command help plz
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic unix command help plz Post 302174844 by bdittmar on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 09:43:27 AM
Old 03-12-2008
this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragic54
I was wondering what command lines i could use to do the following.

1. mail a file to a user with a subject line "HELLO". Also, send a Blind carbon copy to a different user?

2. Display the number of files AND directories in a given directory?

3. Display the last 5 files in a given directory?

I've searched all the manual pages i could possibly think of and i can't seem to find the answers to these. Thanks!

1.) mailx -s Hello to.person1@mail.com to.person2@mail.com < /path/file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plz Help How should I configure cc compiler output file plz help???

i.e configuration of C compiler :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
4 Replies

2. Tips and Tutorials

Unix Basic Command

A at : execute commands at a specified time/date. awk: a scripting language, especially useful for manipulating text and automation. B bash : invokes the Bourne Again Shell (standard on most boxes). batch: execute comands when load permits. bc : interactive C-like calcultor (integers... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: binhnx2000
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic unix file command!

Hi there, I am looking to create a single file called outputa.txt, which will show the contents of my directorya and its sub directories, and all file and directory permissions. What command would be used for this? Cheers Kev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kev112
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plz Help : How to use write command to execute command on some other terminal

Hi Group , I m trying to execute commands on some other system using write command but inspite of executing the commands they r passed as simple messages. - i m writing >write user-id ! ls o ctrl-d inspite of executing the command ls,other terminal shows ! ls. Thnx in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aashish
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

explain command plz

echo -n "1. Updating Password Policy in OID..." | tee -a $logfile set ldap_v1 = `ldapsearch -b "" -h $oid_host -p $oid_port -D "cn=orcladmin" -w $admin_pwd -s sub "cn=PwdPolicyEntry" dn | head -1` echo "dn:$ldap_v1" > ldap1.out echo "changetype:modify" >> ldap1.out echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maoro
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix script plz help

cdfcxvvbbvnbjmjnhjml. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sree11
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very New To Unix Shell Programming:Plz Help

Hi Gurus I am very new to Unix Shell Prog. I have a file in format Q1 Dirname-FileName Score Remarks i.e. containing columns separated by space. I want to read Column 1 and 2 and then join them to make a string that would be a path to a file. I will use this string to fetch the files and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimskams80
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plz help deliverable unix masters

i have two requirement a file1 has field CNT=1000 i want to take count on file2 which can be like 2000 and replace in file1 so it becomes CNT=2000 a file1 has field TSTMP=2008-11-06-15.54.20.000000 i want to take the file creation date on file2 which can be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with SED command plz

I need two solutions 1) How can i swap the first and last character in each line of file temp 2) How can i display content of the file using sed command Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: champu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Unix cp command help

I am new to unix so this is probably a pretty basic question. I am trying to write several commands on one line that creates a directory called bf in the current directory, then copy all files within that directory and any subdirectories, that do not start with the letter c to the new bf folder.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty85
5 Replies
UUX(1)							      General Commands Manual							    UUX(1)

NAME
uux - unix to unix command execution SYNOPSIS
uux [ - ] [ -cClLnprz ] [ -aname ] [ -ggrade ] [ -xdebug ] command-string DESCRIPTION
Uux will gather zero or more files from various systems, execute a command on a specified system and then send standard output to a file on a specified system. The command-string is made up of one or more arguments that look like a Shell command line, except that the command and file names may be prefixed by system-name!. A null system-name is interpreted as the local system. File names may be one of(1) a full path name; (2) a path name preceded by ~user where user is a login name on the specified system and is replaced by that user's login directory; (3) a path name prefixed by ~; where ~ is expanded to the system's public directory (usually /usr/spool/uucppublic); (4) a partial pathname, which is prefixed by the current directory. As an example, the command uux "!diff usg!/usr/dan/file1 pwba!/a4/dan/file2 > !~/dan/file.diff" will get the file1 and file2 files from the ``usg'' and ``pwba'' machines, execute a diff(1) command and put the results in file.diff in the local /usr/spool/uucppublic/dan/ directory. Any special shell characters, such as <>;|, should be quoted either by quoting the entire command-string, or quoting the special characters as individual arguments. Uux will attempt to get all files to the execution system. For files that are output files, the file name must be escaped using parenthe- ses. For example, the command uux a!wc b!/usr/file1 (c!/usr/file2 ) get /usr/file1 from system ``b'' and send it to system ``a'', perform a wc command on that file and send the result of the wc command to system ``c''. Uux will notify you by mail if the requested command on the remote system was disallowed. This notification can be turned off by the -n option. The following options are interpreted by uux: - The standard input to uux is made the standard input to the command-string. -aname Use name as the user identification replacing the initiator user-id. -c Do not copy local file to the spool directory for transfer to the remote machine (this is the default). -C Force the copy of local files to the spool directory for transfer. -ggrade Grade is a single letter/number, from 0 to 9, A to Z, or a to z; 0 is the highest, and z is the lowest grade. The default is A; by comparison uucp(1) defaults to n and mail is usually sent at grade C. Lower grades should be specified for high-volume jobs, such as news. -l Try and make a link from the original file to the spool directory. If the link cannot be made, copy the file. -n Do not notify the user when the command completes. -p Same as -: The standard input to uux is made the standard input to the command-string. -r Do not start the file transfer, just queue the job. -xdebug Produce debugging output on stdout. The debug is a number between 0 and 9; higher numbers give more detailed information. Debugging is permitted only for privileged users (specifically, those with read access to L.sys(5). -z Notify the user only if the command fails. -L Start up uucico with the -L flag. This will force calls to be made to local sites only (see uucico(8C)). FILES
/usr/spool/uucp spool directories /etc/uucp/* UUCP configuration data. SEE ALSO
uucp(1), uucico(8), uuxqt(8). WARNING
For security reasons, many installations will limit the list of commands executable on behalf of an incoming request from uux. Many sites will permit little more than the receipt of mail (see mail(1)) via uux. BUGS
Only the first command of a shell pipeline may have a system-name!. All other commands are executed on the system of the first command. The use of the shell metacharacter * will probably not do what you want it to do. The shell tokens << and >> are not implemented. When invoking uux from csh(1), the `!' character must be prefixed by the `' escape to inhibit csh's history mechanism. (Quotes are not sufficient.) 7th Edition October 22, 1996 UUX(1)