Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Login and logout time of a session Post 302174100 by sharif on Monday 10th of March 2008 05:03:22 AM
Old 03-10-2008
Login and logout time of a session

Hi,
How can I find out the login and logout time of the old UNIX session/user?.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

How do you logout from a session?

Hello all - I'm finishing up a script that I wrote. This is what I did: I added some lines to the .bash_profile that will call my startup script: cd $HOME/startup ./startup.scr This startup script will create some directories, move some files, and then startup an application: cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heron
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login and logout script

Hi all I know ho I can run a script when a user logs in, viz using the .login or .profile file, however what can I use to run a script when a user logouts ? Thanks J :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

detecting login or logout

what function would tell me that a user has logged in or out? i already know from my script the users name i already know in real time there was an event how an I tell if that event was a login or logout? Any ideas? # i did try comparing the file sizes for change but various users may... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
8 Replies

4. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

session logout

hi, im executing one script i,e sh test.sh i want to log out the sessing after script execution. and i do't want to user command like this. sh test.sh ; exit can i exit the session with the use of script pl help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arvindng
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Login/Logout script

Dear readers I use SnowLeopard 10.6.2 and need to do some special tasks at login and logout of an sepcific user. My problem is, how do I send a string "login" respectively "logout" from computer "A", where the login/logout script runs, to computer "B" where some other tasks need to be done. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthaler
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining if session is a login session

Besides 'who am i' and 'tty' what commands could be used to determine if a session is interactive as compared to a web process or cron process. Any command should work with the common unix variants. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session logout

hi, i want to make a session logout in c++/unix which will redirect the user to the login page if the user is idle for 5mins (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anubhav sharma
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Login/Logout Information in report

Hello Experts, Am very much new to the bash shell scripting.I need a small favour,I need a shell script to get Login and Logout information in a csv file.Can some one help me out please. Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmed.vaghar
1 Replies
LOGIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  LOGIN(3)

NAME
login, logout, logwtmp -- login utility functions (DEPRECATED) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> void login(struct utmp *ut); int logout(const char *line); void logwtmp(const char *line, const char *name, const char *host); DESCRIPTION
The login(), logout(), and logwtmp() functions are DEPRECATED; use pututxline(3) instead. These functions operate on the database of current users in /var/run/utmpx and the system log file. Superuser permission is required. The login() function updates the /var/run/utmpx files with user information contained in ut (after converting to a struct utmpx, as described in pututxline(3)). The logout() function removes the entry from /var/run/utmpx corresponding to the device line. The logwtmp() function adds an entry to the system log file. Since login() will add the appropriate entry during a login, logwtmp() is usu- ally used for logouts. RETURN VALUES
logout() returns non-zero if it was able to find and delete an entry for line, and zero if there is no entry for line in /var/run/utmpx. However, there is no error indication due to lack of permissions. FILES
/dev/* /var/run/utmpx SEE ALSO
pututxline(3), utmp(5), utmpx(5) BSD
December 14, 1995 BSD