Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to clear $1 when dot-running a script. Post 302174087 by rikxik on Monday 10th of March 2008 03:50:58 AM
Old 03-10-2008
@fmurphy

No counter example needed. Taking your example:

Code:
$ uname -a
SunOS db012a 5.8 Generic_117350-35 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M
$ echo $0
-ksh
$ . testme
1=
$ . testme YOU
1=YOU
$ . testme
1=YOU
$ ./demo FPM
Positional Parameter 1=FPM
1=XXX
Positional Parameter 1=XXX

However, bash doesn't seem to remember passed positional parameters across dot invocations:

Code:
$ cat other
echo "1=$1 2=$2 3=$3 4=$4"
$ bash
$ . other
1= 2= 3= 4=
$ . other a b
1=a 2=b 3= 4=
$ . other z
1=z 2= 3= 4=
$ . other
1= 2= 3= 4=

Ksh on the other hand will reset only when something is passed:

Code:
$ ksh
$ . other
1= 2= 3= 4=
$ . other a b
1=a 2=b 3= 4=
$ . other z         # here $2 (and higher) are cleared since at least one positional parameter was passed.
1=z 2= 3= 4=
$ . other
1=z 2= 3= 4=

So in a nutshell, agree with bakunin's points on ksh.

HTH

Last edited by rikxik; 03-10-2008 at 05:36 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear Case, Awk and script

Hello. I should have asked this awhile ago but here is my situation. My task is to generate LOC for different directories. I have a text file that has dates in this format (01-Aug-2006). My task is to read each line and compare it to a branch date. Depending on the date, it should generate a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
0 Replies

2. Linux

SED/AWK Script to clear log file using timestamp?

I have a log file on our system which fills up with lines that have been timestamped, as follows.... 03/03/2008 10:56:06:815] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:06:820] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:07:003]... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davesimm
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

4. SCO

Parameter passing to dot shell script

OS SCO Open Server 6.0 MP4 I am trying to change the value of a enviornment variable thru a script and want to pass a parameter on the commande line, If I hard code the value inside the script the script changes the enviornment variable . mytest where my test is MYVAR=$1 export MYVAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
6 Replies

5. AIX

Help with clear printer queue script in AIX 5.3

Good day UNIX forum, could you help me with my clear printer queue script, i have problems with the consistency of this function, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Thanks in advance } preRemovePrintQ(){ clear; echo; echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beware187
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why script is running sometimes and not running sometimes?

Hi, I have a script which does couple of database connection and run some SELECT queries to get some output in the file. I am surprised to see :eek: that when i run my script some times it gives the desired out put and sometimes it shows some error :confused: . Suppose if i execute it say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Script to clear filesystem

Hi, I have created a script to clear up the /var filesystem once it reaches > 90%. This is part of the script : #!/bin/bash DIR = ./adm DIR2=./adm/sw DIR3 = ./spool/mqueue DIR4 = ./adm/syslog DIR5 = ./adm/sulog DIR6 = ./tmp F1 = ./tmp/dead.letter F2 = ./adm/wtmps file1 =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)