Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unable to use command line to cd or ls Post 302173782 by bosh on Friday 7th of March 2008 11:44:16 PM
Old 03-08-2008
Sorry i probably dont explained my self, what i am trying to do is
>cd $a
or
>ls $a

but none of this work and i have tried >cd echo $a, and >$a | cd
both for cd and ls... i know that when i execute just $a i get the path that was copied from the textfile.txt, but when i see what the variable contain it contains the command line, eval grep -w "something" textfile.txt | grep -w "anotherthing" | cut -c1-11.

please tell me how to use either cd or ls with the value i get from the execution of the command line (grep -w "something" textfile.txt | grep -w "anotherthing" | cut -c1-11)

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to display the souce line in gdb

Hi All, I am unable to display the code in gdb. When i put list command i dont get any line. I mean i am unable to display the source line in gdb. Can any body help me. Thanks & Regards Gauri (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri
4 Replies

2. BSD

Unable to use 'su' command on FreeBSD6.2

Hi, I'm unable to do 'su' on my FreeBSD6.2 machine, I can remote ssh login as root but 'su' simply doesn't work at all. The message I get says that "The Operation Not Permitted". Requesting any help. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to display correctly the contents of a file without a line feed

I am using AIX and ksh. I need to display the contents of a file that has a pid (process id). Because the file is open, it doesn't have the line feed or new line, so for some reason if I do this: `cat $pid` , where $pid is the name of the fully qualified file, it displays test3.sh: 426110:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gato
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Command line mail taking too long to send; unable to qualify my own domain name

Hello, I'm having a problem with my mail. When I send mail, it takes a long time for the send to complete. In the below, datestamp is just a simple script to put in a no-white-space date/time stamp. $ datestamp ; mail woodnt; datestamp 02-05-10@193844 Subject: test timer Cc: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to use new line in sed search pattern.

hi , my lilo.conf is as shown below : prompt default=Primary read-only image=/boot/bzImage label=Primary root=/dev/md0 append="reboot=t md=0 ip=off panic=5 quiet console=ttyS0,115200n81" read-only image=/boot/bzImage label=Recover root=/dev/sda3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: success
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar unable to use command

Hello all... i am unable to use tar commands on my intel machine in solaris 10 by tying this "tar cvf /dev/rmt/mydata.tar/mydata" and created mydata directory, msg is "No:Missing Files" Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
5 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to execute snap command

Hi Friends, I am not able to execute snap -a command in AIX 6 system. Could you please let me know how to make work this command and Path to be set. Thanks in Advance Siva. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarl
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set end of line in mail command

Hi , Am trying to send mail using the mail command, but the mail command is working but its not sending automatically after pressing .(dot) in the command prompt it sends . How to achieve that. Also it showing the below line after pressing the dot . /home/abc1/dead.letter... Saved message in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to check if my command succeeded

Hi, Is there a way to check if the openssl part of the below execution returns non zero without freezing the flow of the script ? var1=$(echo | openssl s_client -connect $url 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -issuer -subject -dates) echo $? Output: 0 while i was expecting the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)