Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching for a string in a file Post 302173683 by ROOZ on Friday 7th of March 2008 12:54:27 PM
Old 03-07-2008
thx but I think I haven't stated my question correctly so I decided to make a new thread with some modification in my question

Last edited by ROOZ; 03-07-2008 at 02:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string though file system

Is there a way to search an entire file system for the occurance of a string..... other than grep. I have a large directory structure and I'm not certain that grep <string> */*/*/*... is all that effective - especially as I can't be sure of the number of levels to go down without heaps of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complicated string searching in a file

Hi folks, Following a part of opmn.xml file: <process-type id="OC4J_RiGHTv_PLATOR81" module-id="OC4J"> <environment> <variable id="LD_LIBRARY_PATH" value="/home/ias/v10.1.2/lib" append="true"/> <variable id="SHLIB_PATH"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: searching for a string in a file...

Hi All, I need to search for a string in a file that I've opened and base a decision on the result. The logic is this: "if the word 'Shared' appears on the first line then do this on the whole file else do this on the whole file " The code I currently have isn't working:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I have a requirement. Could anyone help me writing the script for the same? Here goes the requirement: I have a config file let's say temp.config. Here is the data in the config file temp.config : ------------- name=victor age=42 state=texas... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file for a string

Hi Guys... I want to search for each file that contains a particular string. e.g find . -print | xargs grep -i string_name Now my issue is the files that I search in are gzipped. Will I be able to find the string, using the above commands, even if the files are gzipped? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file using perl

Hi I would like to read a file using perl and search for a string (last entry). Then read that into an array and do further grep File content for ex: comp=a,value=30,runtime=12,type=lic comp=d,value=15,runtime=2,type=lic comp=a,value=90,runtime=43,type=lic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string stored in other file

I need to design a script which can do the following: I have two files abc.txt and constant.hmtl abc.txt contains some 5 string that I need to see if they exist in contants.html. Constants.hmtl is a very large file around 800 lines. I want to search all the strings present in file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemasid
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a particular file name

Hello, I have a file name like FIRST_DPF_DAILY_CUST_0826152322.txt i need to extract the string after the third "_" underscore upto timestamp ends i.e CUST_0826152322 can anyone help me with the code Thank you! Regards Srikanth Sagi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
3 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Net::DNS::Question(3pm)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa subdomains. parse ($question, $offset) = Net::DNS::Question->parse($data, $offset); Parses a question section record at the specified location within a DNS packet. The first argument is a reference to the packet data. The second argument is the offset within the packet where the question record begins. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. Parsing is aborted if the question object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c) 2003,2006-2009 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.14.2 2009-12-30 Net::DNS::Question(3pm)