Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me to understand some regular expresions usage Post 302173514 by cfajohnson on Thursday 6th of March 2008 11:52:10 PM
Old 03-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_5161
Can someone explain me how those
restatements are constructed
Code:
        suffix=${name#*.}
        prefix=${main%%+([0-9])}
        num=10#${num}

1. What is the logic to use a reg-expr in variable name
2. In first string - the '#' seems to mean 'everithing after next
mached', but the '.' in reg-exp is a one character, here it seems it
used litteraly. Why?

You don't use regular expressions in parameter expansion; you use
filename expansion (a.k.a. wildcard) patterns.

See:
POSIX shell parameter expansions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with the usage of one variable usage

Hi All I am not able to understand the usage of d# in the below variable declaration. FILE_LOC contains the directory path And also help me to know about what will be saved in the variable j. Thanks!!! j=${d#${FILE_LOC}/} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies
regcmp(1)							   User Commands							 regcmp(1)

NAME
regcmp - regular expression compile SYNOPSIS
regcmp [-] filename... DESCRIPTION
The regcmp command performs a function similar to regcmp and, in most cases, precludes the need for calling regcmp from C programs. Bypass- ing regcmp saves on both execution time and program size. The command regcmp compiles the regular expressions in filename and places the output in filename.i. OPTIONS
- If the - option is used, the output is placed in filename.c. The format of entries in filename is a name (C variable) followed by one or more blanks followed by one or more regular expressions enclosed in double quotes. The output of regcmp is C source code. Compiled regular expressions are represented as extern char vectors. filename.i files may thus be #included in C programs, or filename.c files may be compiled and later loaded. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(abc,line) applies the regu- lar expression named abc to line. Diagnostics are self-explanatory. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Examples of the regcmp command. name "([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)$0" telno "({0,1}([2-9][01][1-9])$0){0,1} *" "([2-9][0-9]{2})$1[ -]{0,1}" "([0-9]{4})$2" The three arguments to telno shown above must all be entered on one line. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(telno, line, area, exch, rest) applies the regular expression named telno to line. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
A general description of the usage of the LC_* environmental variables can be found in environ(5). LC_CTYPE Determines how regcmp handles characters. When LC_CTYPE is set to a valid value, regcmp can display and handle text and filenames containing valid characters for that locale. LC_MESSAGES Determines how diagnostic and informative messages are presented. This includes the language and style of the messages, and the correct form of affirmative and negative responses. In the "C" locale, the messages are presented in the default form found in the program itself (in most cases, U.S. English). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
regcmp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.11 Dec 20 1996 regcmp(1)