Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep exclude/find single and double quotes Post 302173055 by matt.d on Wednesday 5th of March 2008 12:04:06 PM
Old 03-05-2008
Code:
matt@devlinux  [/home/matt/contrib]$ cat file
'
"
matt@devlinux  [/home/matt/contrib]$ grep [\'\"] file
'
"
matt@devlinux  [/home/matt/contrib]$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single v. double quotes in sed (GNU utilities for Win32 version)

I'm using sed for Windows at a WinNT command prompt. Wrapping the expressions with single quotes doesn't work. I have to use double quotes. Is this the norm for the Windows implementation? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daddydojo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to alias an awk command with single and double quotes?

Hi, I am trying to write the following command as an alias in my .bashrc file. bjobs -u all | awk '{if (NR > 1) {username++;}}END{{print"\nJOBS BY USER:\n"} for (i in username) {print username,i;}{print"\n Total Jobs=",NR-1,"\n" }}' The command simply puts how many jobs each user is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacekmaciek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes and double quotes

Hi guys, I have a sed line in double quotes which works fine, but I want it to be in single quotes here is the sed line sed "/abc_def/s/\'.*\'/\'\${abc_def}\'/" can some one give the equivalent to the above script in single quotes Thanks a ton (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to send single and double quotes to command

Hi Unix experts, Believe me, this forum has been really great help and I searched for many things that were already answered before open new post that were just new versions of old one, but with this one, I just can't simply move any forward. This must be quite easy, but I cant find where I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manolain
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for inserting a variable containing single and double quotes

Hi i have to insert the below line into a specific line number of another file export MBR_CNT_PRCP_TYPE_CODES_DEL="'01','02','04','05','49','55','UNK'" I have passed the above line to a variable say ins_line. I have used below command to perform the insert awk 'NR==3{print "'"${ins_line}"'"}1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathishteradata
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing single quotes to grep

Hi, I have a grep command which searches if a particular word ends in a pattern grep 'ee\>' * The above command searches for any word that ends with ee across files and works as expected. I need to parametrize ee and run the command so I tried the following but none work A=ee grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wahi80
1 Replies
dbclient(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dbclient(1)

NAME
dbclient - lightweight SSH2 client SYNOPSIS
dbclient [-Tt] [-p port] [-i id] [-L l:h:r] [-R l:h:r] [-l user] host [command] dbclient [ args ] [user1]@host1[/port1],[user2]@host2[/port2],... DESCRIPTION
dbclient is a SSH 2 client designed to be small enough to be used in small memory environments, while still being functional and secure enough for general use. If compiled with zlib support and if the server supports it, dbclient will always use compression. OPTIONS
-p port Remote port. Connect to port port on the remote host. Default is 22. -i idfile Identity file. Read the identity from file idfile (multiple allowed). -L [listenaddress]:listenport:host:port Local port forwarding. Forward the port listenport on the local host through the SSH connection to port port on the host host. -R [listenaddress]:listenport:host:port Remote port forwarding. Forward the port listenport on the remote host through the SSH connection to port port on the host host. -l user Username. Login as user on the remote host. -t Allocate a pty. -T Don't allocate a pty. -N Don't request a remote shell or run any commands. Any command arguments are ignored. -f Fork into the background after authentication. A command argument (or -N) is required. This is useful when using password authenti- cation. -g Allow non-local hosts to connect to forwarded ports. Applies to -L and -R forwarded ports, though remote connections to -R forwarded ports may be limited by the ssh server. -y Always accept hostkeys if they are unknown. If a hostkey mismatch occurs the connection will abort as normal. -A Forward agent connections to the remote host. dbclient will use any OpenSSH-style agent program if available ($SSH_AUTH_SOCK will be set) for public key authentication. Forwarding is only enabled if -A is specified. -W windowsize Specify the per-channel receive window buffer size. Increasing this may improve network performance at the expense of memory use. Use -h to see the default buffer size. -K timeout_seconds Ensure that traffic is transmitted at a certain interval in seconds. This is useful for working around firewalls or routers that drop connections after a certain period of inactivity. The trade-off is that a session may be closed if there is a temporary lapse of network connectivity. A setting if 0 disables keepalives. -I idle_timeout Disconnect the session if no traffic is transmitted or received for idle_timeout seconds. -J proxy_command Use the standard input/output of the program proxy_command rather than using a normal TCP connection. A hostname should be still be provided, as this is used for comparing saved hostkeys. -B endhost:endport "Netcat-alike" mode, where Dropbear will connect to the given host, then create a forwarded connection to endhost. This will then be presented as dbclient's standard input/output. Dropbear will also allow multiple "hops" to be specified, separated by commas. In this case a connection will be made to the first host, then a TCP forwarded connection will be made through that to the second host, and so on. Hosts other than the final destina- tion will not see anything other than the encrypted SSH stream. A port for a host can be specified with a slash (eg matt@martello/44 ). This syntax can also be used with scp or rsync (specifying dbclient as the ssh/rsh command). A file can be "bounced" through multiple SSH hops, eg scp -S dbclient matt@martello,root@wrt,canyons:/tmp/dump . Note that hostnames are resolved by the prior hop (so "canyons" would be resolved by the host "wrt") in the example above, the same way as other -L TCP forwarded hosts are. Host keys are checked locally based on the given hostname. ENVIRONMENT
DROPBEAR_PASSWORD A password to use for remote authentication can be specified in the environment variable DROPBEAR_PASSWORD. Care should be taken that the password is not exposed to other users on a multi-user system, or stored in accessible files. SSH_ASKPASS dbclient can use an external program to request a password from a user. SSH_ASKPASS should be set to the path of a program that will return a password on standard output. This program will only be used if either DISPLAY is set and standard input is not a TTY, or the environment variable SSH_ASKPASS_ALWAYS is set. AUTHOR
Matt Johnston (matt@ucc.asn.au). Mihnea Stoenescu wrote initial Dropbear client support Gerrit Pape (pape@smarden.org) wrote this manual page. SEE ALSO
dropbear(8), dropbearkey(8) http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html dbclient(1)