Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Enabling a script to run in multiple paths Post 302172303 by Dave Miller on Monday 3rd of March 2008 10:08:31 AM
Old 03-03-2008
To elaborate, there is a line in your .profile that says PATH=

The PATH defined has several paths listed, separated by colons. One of the PATHs is probably . by itself. A . by itself means 'current directory'.

When you attempt to execute a command/script, the OS searches each of the paths listed in PATH to find the command/script you specified.

Therefore, you have to put your script in one of the paths specified, or add the path where your script lives to the PATH variable.

On a side note, the command which [command] returns the path of the [command] specified.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Multiple Paths to SAN with LVM in Linux?

I'm setting up a CentOS 5 server that will be connected to an HP EVA4000. My previous experience is with an HP VA7400 and HP-UX. In HP-UX I can add "alternate paths" to a volume group in order to have redundant paths to the SAN via dual fiber channel HBAs just by either adding them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find multiple paths

How do i find files in more than one directory? I searched through forums, but could not land into the right thread. I tried something like find dir1|dir2 -name file1 but it doesn't work. Please suggest. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run php script on multiple website domains

Good Day, I have multiple websites on a domain. I am looking for a loop structure that can run each site script. egdomain1/test.php domainx/test.php so on, currently I copy and paste a list of commands but that skips certain commands. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Sergio (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SergioP
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace directory paths in multiple files at once

I need to update about 2400 files in a directory subtree, with a new directory path inside the files I need to change this occurence in all files: /d2/R12AB/VIS/apps/tech_st/10.1.2 with this: /u01/PROD/apps/apps_st/10.1.3 I know how to change single words using "find . -type f -print0 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wicus
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple file paths in a variable

I am working on a script for Mac OS X that, among many other things, gets a list of all the installed Applications. I am pulling the list from the system_profiler command and formatting it using grep and awk. The problem is that I want to be able to use each result individually later in the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cranfordio
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script on multiple files

I have a script that I need to run on one file at a time. Unfortunately using for i in F* or cat F* is not possible. When I run the script using that, it jumbles the files and they are out of order. Here is the script: gawk '{count++; keyword = $1} END { for (k in count) {if (count == 2)... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget from multiple paths

if I have these wildcards to download from: path1/*.txt path2/*.txt path3/*.txt path4/*.txt path5/*.txt under a link such as this: http://abc .com/]abc.com Can wget be written in such a way to extract only those files and create the corresponding paths under a target folder? So the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script on multiple files

Hi Guys, I've been having a look around to try and understand how i can do the below however havent come across anything that will work. Basically I have a parser script that I need to run across all files in a certain directory, I can do this one my by one on comand line however I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies
LINK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   LINK(2)

NAME
link -- make a hard file link SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int link(const char *path1, const char *path2); DESCRIPTION
The link() function call atomically creates the specified directory entry (hard link) path2 with the attributes of the underlying object pointed at by path1. If the link is successful, the link count of the underlying object is incremented; path1 and path2 share equal access and rights to the underlying object. If path1 is removed, the file path2 is not deleted and the link count of the underlying object is decremented. In order for the system call to succeed, path1 must exist and both path1 and path2 must be in the same file system. As mandated by POSIX.1, path1 may not be a directory. link() will resolve and follow symbolic links contained within both path1 and path2. If the last component of path1 is a symbolic link, link() will point the hard link, path2, to the underlying object pointed to by path1, not to the symbolic link itself. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Link() will fail and no link will be created if: [EACCES] A component of either path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] The requested link requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. [EACCES] The current process cannot access the existing file. [EDQUOT] The directory in which the entry for the new link is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted. [EEXIST] The link named by path2 already exists. [EFAULT] One of the pathnames specified is outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurs while reading from or writing to the file system to make the directory entry. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links are encountered in translating one of the pathnames. This is taken to be indicative of a looping symbolic link. [EMLINK] The file already has {LINK_MAX} links. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeds {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] A component of either path prefix does not exist, or is a dangling symbolic link. [ENOENT] The file named by path1 does not exist, or is a dangling symbolic link. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new link is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [EPERM] The file named by path1 is a directory. [EROFS] The requested link requires writing in a directory on a read-only file system. [EXDEV] The link named by path2 and the file named by path1 are on different file systems. SEE ALSO
symlink(2), unlink(2) STANDARDS
The link() function is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). 4th Berkeley Distribution October 29, 2008 4th Berkeley Distribution